BJP won’t withdraw support to BJD government in OrissaAugust 29th, 2008 - 10:23 pm ICT by IANS
Bangalore, Aug 29 (IANS) The Bharatiya Janata Party (BJP) Friday said that it was concerned over the violence in Orissa following the killing of a Vishwa Hindu Parishad (VHP) leader, but added that it would not withdraw support to the state government headed by Chief Minister Naveen Patnaik.”Biju Janata Dal (BJD) is one of our important allies and the current trouble will not affect our relations with it,” BJP vice-president Mukhtar Abbas Naqvi told reporters here.
“We are concerned over the developments in Orissa. But we will not withdraw support to the government,” he said.
Naqvi, who was here in connection with the BJP’s national executive committee meeting in September, said he expects three or four important political parties to become part of National Democratic Alliance (NDA) headed by it ahead of the Lok Sabha elections due early next year.
“The NDA is in talks with some important political parties on a pre-poll alliance for the Lok Sabha elections. Three or four may come into the NDA fold,” he said. However, he refused to name the parties.
The BJP national executive meeting is scheduled to be held here Sep 12-14. About 200 members are expected to attend the meet and the party’s senior leader L.K. Advani will address a ‘Sankalp Yatra’ Sep 13, Naqvi said.
Ahead of the national executive, the BJP central election committee will meet in Delhi Sep 2 when the names of about 300 candidates for the Lok Sabha polls would be finalised, Naqvi said.
- NDA reviews vice presidential poll strategy - Jul 24, 2012
- BJD refuses to join NDA rally - Dec 15, 2010
- Patnaik yet to make up mind on joining NDA rally - Dec 09, 2010
- BJP names Jaswant Singh to build inter-party ties - Jan 03, 2011
- NCP withdraws support to BJD in Orissa - Dec 29, 2010
- President's poll: BJP core committee to meet Monday (Lead) - Jun 18, 2012
- Pranab miles ahead as NDA squabbles (Roundup) - Jun 17, 2012
- BJP rules out poll pact with BJD - Oct 31, 2011
- BJP brain-storming meet on in Agra - Aug 05, 2012
- NDA fails to decide on presidential poll (Lead) - Jun 17, 2012
- NDA to decide presidential nominee Sunday - Jun 16, 2012
- BJD, AIADMK back Sangma for presidency (Intro Roundup) - May 17, 2012
- BJP 'still hopeful' of ties with BJD - Mar 08, 2009
- Consensus growing in favour of Pranab (Second Lead) - Jun 16, 2012
- BJP in a fix, allies divided on presidential candidate - Jun 19, 2012