BJP to launch nationwide protest over coal blocksAugust 29th, 2012 - 9:01 pm ICT by IANS
New Delhi, Aug 29 (IANS) Sticking to its demand for cancelling allocation of 142 coal blocks and Prime Minister Manmohan Singh’s resignation, the BJP Wednesday said it will launch a nationwide agitation on the issue, starting Friday.
Bharatiya Janata Party spokesperson Prakash Javadekar said the party will organise demonstrations in 40 cities across the country.
“These allotments were just to pocket the coal blocks. We have decided to launch a nationwide agitation and on 31st (Aug) we will begin of our fight against corruption,” Javadekar told reporters.
“On 31st (Aug), 1st (Sep) and 2nd (Sep) our leaders will go to 40 cities and we will launch our protest,” he said.
The Comptroller and Auditor General in its report said the country has suffered a presumptive loss of Rs.1.85 lakh crore ($37 billion) because of allocation and non-auction of the coal blocks.
The Bharatiya Janata Yuva Morcha, the youth wing of the BJP, Wednesday also burned an effigy of the prime minister, protesting the scam.
“The coal block allocation process was twisted and manipulated. While the committee had 10 representatives from the central government, there was only one from the state concerned. It appears that these bunglings were pre-planned and the motive was to make profits not as a nation but as a party,” Javadekar said.
“We demand an explanation from the government on how it did comparative appraisal of the 1,400 applications for 140 coal blocks. Please provide us details of the comparative appraisal. How and on what basis was this comparative assessment made? How come 17 coal blocks were allotted in one day without any presentation being made by the applicants,” he asked.
- BJP to take coal blocks issue to people - Aug 28, 2012
- PM making excuses to hide facts: BJP - Aug 27, 2012
- Probe money trail in coal scam: BJP - Sep 06, 2012
- Opposition slams Narayanasamy on CAG mandate comment - Aug 18, 2012
- NDA plans stir in parliament complex against Coalgate - Sep 06, 2012
- BJP urges Mamata to pull plug from UPA - Sep 01, 2012
- Opposition parties slam PM's statement on CAG report - Aug 27, 2012
- Happy at CVC referring coal allocation case to CBI: BJP - Jun 01, 2012
- BJP to take coal block issue to people - Sep 01, 2012
- BJP slams UPA, demands cancellation of coal blocks - Sep 10, 2012
- BJP to continue protest, unlikely to oblige on promotion quota bill - Sep 04, 2012
- Cancel coal blocks, run parliament: CPI-M - Sep 03, 2012
- Resign, clarify: Opposition call to prime minister (Lead) - Aug 22, 2012
- Subodh Kant Sahay denies involvement in coal allocation (Lead) - Aug 31, 2012
- Willing for debate on coal allocation after PM resigns: BJP - Sep 05, 2012
Tags: allotments, bharatiya janata party, block allocation, central government, coal, comparative appraisal, comparative assessment, comptroller, crore, effigy, fight against corruption, manmohan, manmohan singh, nationwide agitation, party spokesperson, prakash, prime minister manmohan singh, resignation, rs 1, yuva morcha