BJP to choose Yeddyurappa successor FridayJuly 28th, 2011 - 8:56 pm ICT by IANS
Bangalore, July 28 (IANS) The Bharatiya Janata Party (BJP) will Friday select a successor to Karnataka Chief Minister B.S. Yeddyurappa though till late Thursday he had not obeyed the party directive to step down immediately.
The 68-year-old Yeddyurappa was told Thursday morning to resign immediately following Lokayukta N. Sanosh Hegde seeking his trial for graft in the huge illegal mining scam that has caused a loss of over Rs.16,000 crore to the state.
However, there was no indication from Yeddyurappa when he will quit as he kept himself busy meeting supporters through the day to firm up, as his loyalists told IANS, conditions on which he will leave the office.
The loyalists, requesting anonymity, said the chief minister wants to name a successor and have a major say in cabinet formation after he quits.
Thursday evening word spread that Yeddyurappa has sent his resignation to party president Nitin Gadkari but within minutes it was denied by ministers close to the chief minister.
The BJP camp was hub of activity with party in-charge Dharmendra Pradhan meeting groups of legislators to know their views ahead of a formal meeting of the state legislature party Friday to elect the new leader.
Former party president Rajnath Singh and senior leader Arun Jaitley will be the central party leadership observers for the meeting and will arrive Friday.
- Defiant Yeddyurappa told to quit; successor on Friday (Roundup) - Jul 28, 2011
- BJP stuck with Yeddyurappa's stiff conditions to quit (Night Lead) - Jul 29, 2011
- Will resign July 31 and work for party: Yeddyurappa - Jul 29, 2011
- Quit now or face expulsion, BJP tells Yeddyurappa (Roundup) - Jul 30, 2011
- Rajnath, Jaitley in Bangalore, new chief minister Wednesday (Second Lead) - Aug 03, 2011
- BJP struggles for consensus on Yeddyurappa's successor - Aug 02, 2011
- Yeddyurappa quits but stalls successor's election (Night Lead) - Aug 01, 2011
- 'Explosive' mining report seems to 'implode' Karnataka BJP (Karnataka Newsletter) - Jul 29, 2011
- Meet to pick Yeddyurappa's successor put off indefinitely (Lead) - Jul 29, 2011
- Yeddyurappa finally told to quit, seeks time till July 31 (Intro Roundup) - Jul 29, 2011
- Ballot to pick Yeddyurappa successor if no consensus (Lead) - Aug 02, 2011
- Yeddyurappa to be consulted on successor: Rajnath - Jul 29, 2011
- Yeddyurappa must go immediately: BJP (Lead) - Jul 28, 2011
- BJP's 2nd chief minister in 3 years for Karnataka - Jul 29, 2011
- Yeddyurappa will resign, says Karnataka BJP chief (Evening Lead) - Jul 28, 2011
Tags: anonymity, bangalore, bharatiya janata party, chief minister, crore, dharmendra, graft, hub, legislators, loyalists, nitin, observers, party leadership, party president, rajnath singh, resignation, state legislature, thursday morning