BJP, Shiv Sena move Supreme Court against fine for shutdownDecember 1st, 2008 - 9:22 pm ICT by IANS
New Delhi, Dec 1 (IANS) The Bharatiya Janata Party (BJP) and Shiv Sena approached the Supreme Court challenging a Bombay High Court order imposing a fine of Rs.2 million on each of them for forcing a shutdown in Mumbai in July 2003. A bench of Chief Justice K.G. Balakrishnan and Justice P. Sathasivam, which heard the case Monday, issued notices to the Maharashtra government and former cabinet secretary B.G. Deshmukh, on whose joint petition the high court had imposed the cost on the two political parties.
Other petitioners issued notices include former police chief Julio Ribeiro and advertising guru Alyque Padamsee.
The apex court issued the notice and listed the plea of the two political parties for final hearing only after they deposited a fine with the Maharashtra government as per the apex court’s earlier order.
In their petition to the apex court, the two parties contended that they had called for the shutdown to express the popular resentment against a series of terror bombings in the metropolis and its suburbs in a span of seven to eight months from December 2002.
They said the shutdown was called on July 30, 2003, to protest the bombing of a state transport bus in Ghatkopar, in which four people were killed and 48 injured.
The two parties told the apex court that Deshmukh and the others subsequently moved the high court claiming and seeking damages worth Rs.500 million on behalf of the Mumbai residents.
Acting on their pleas, the high court ordered the two parties to pay Rs.2 million each to a fund set up as ‘the 30th July 2003 Bandh Loss Compensation Fund’.
- Italian marines' plea: SC notice to centre, Kerala - Jul 19, 2012
- BJP seeks answer on Deshmukh's continuance in ministry - Feb 07, 2011
- Eminent Mumbaikars demand a check on parochial goons - Mar 24, 2010
- Sack Vilasrao Deshmukh, urge Vidarbha farmers - Dec 14, 2010
- Apex court notice in Ghai land allocation case - Mar 23, 2012
- SC slams Maharashtra Govt. for shielding MLA's money-lending father - Dec 14, 2010
- SC notice to Leila Kabir on George Fernandes visiting rights - Jul 20, 2012
- SC notice to Fernandes' wife on plea for visiting rights (Lead) - Jul 20, 2012
- Chief Justice Kapadia to hear Ayodhya verdict deferment petition - Sep 25, 2010
- SC breather for Maharashtra transport minister - Aug 07, 2012
- Dump plea against me, Rahul Gandhi urges SC (Lead) - Jul 06, 2012
- Deshmukh invites Supreme Court censure (Lead) - Dec 14, 2010
- No sovereign immunity for Italian Marines, centre tells SC - Aug 31, 2012
- Apex court refuses to suspend Jayalalithaa's trial (Lead) - Jun 25, 2012
- Vilasrao Deshmukh refutes opposition demand for resignation - Dec 16, 2010