BJP protests, says government shielding Dikshit (Lead)August 9th, 2011 - 1:27 pm ICT by IANS
New Delhi, Aug 9 (IANS) The Bharatiya Janata Party (BJP) Tuesday held protests against Sheila Dikshit and said the central government was shielding her despite the Comptroller and Auditor General (CAG) indicting her for irregularities in the Commonwealth Games (CWG).
The party’s youth wing held a public meeting at the Ramlila Ground demanding Dikshit’s resignation, BJP Delhi president Vijender Gupta said.
“The youth workers of the party are meeting to protest the dictatorship of the Delhi government. We demand the resignation of Dikshit who has not been able to answer why public money was misused in the event,” Gupta told IANS.
The CAG report said the Delhi government and civic agencies overspent Rs.100 crore on streetscaping and Rs.31 crore on streetlighting.
“The prime minister needs to speak on the charges. Youth workers of the party from all over the country will join us in thousands to raise their voice against corruption,” Gupta said.
From the Ramlila Ground, party workers are scheduled to proceed to parliament.
“We might not be allowed to reach parliament, but we will continue to protest. We will hold demonstrations, dharnas, and marches to highlight the failures of the United Progressive Alliance (UPA) government,” said Gupta.
The party says the Congress-led central government is protecting Dikshit who heads the party’s government in Delhi.
“When the CAG report on the 2G scam report was placed on the table of the house, complaints were lodged against unknown persons within 24 hours. The CAG report on CWG has indicted Dikshit and the government is shielding her,” BJP MP Kirti Azad told reporters outside parliament.
Azad said the government is trying to divert attention from Dikshit to the appointment of Suresh Kalmadi as CWG chief.
Both houses of parliament were adjourned Tuesday following protests by the BJP seeking Dikshit’s resignation.
The CAG report which was tabled in parliament Aug 5 indicted Dikshit, Kalmadi and the Prime Minister’s Office (PMO).
The 2010 Commonwealth Games were held in Delhi Oct 3-14.
- Government shielding Dikshit: BJP - Aug 09, 2011
- Left, BJP demand Dikshit's resignation - Aug 04, 2011
- Opposition demands tabling of CAG report on CWG (Lead) - Aug 04, 2011
- Let parliament function normally: Sheila Dikshit - Aug 09, 2011
- Deadlock over Dikshit stalls parliament again (Lead) - Aug 09, 2011
- Sheila Dikshit calls emergency meeting - Aug 04, 2011
- Sheila Dikshit denies to comment on CAG report - Aug 03, 2011
- Parliament adjourned for the day over CAG report (Lead) - Aug 08, 2011
- I am not answerable to BJP, says Dikshit - Aug 08, 2011
- Nothing to hide in CWG: Delhi government (Lead) - Aug 08, 2011
- PMO, Delhi CM indicted for Commonwealth Games flaws (Roundup) - Aug 05, 2011
- Congress to face opposition heat over CAG report - Aug 05, 2011
- Parliament adjourned as opposition demands Dikshit's ouster (Second Lead) - Aug 08, 2011
- Dikshit cornered over CWG, opposition demands her resignation - Aug 03, 2011
- Congress backs Sheila Dikshit - Aug 06, 2011
Tags: bharatiya janata party, cag report, central government, civic agencies, commonwealth games, comptroller, crore, cwg, delhi government, dictatorship, gupta, houses of parliament, irregularities, kirti azad, progressive alliance, public money, scam report, sheila dikshit, streetscaping, UPA