BJP parliamentary board will decide on PM candidateSeptember 28th, 2011 - 3:09 pm ICT by IANS
New Delhi, Sep 28 (IANS) The Bharatiya Janata Party (BJP) Wednesday said the party’s parliamentary board will decide if the 2014 general elections would be fought under collective leadership or a prime ministerial candidate will be projected.
“The decision will be taken at an appropriate time by the parliamentary board. It will decide if a leader is to be projected or not,” said Leader of Opposition in the Lok Sabha Sushma Swaraj.
“When it is decided, you will be informed,” she said, adding that though the party projects a leader in assembly polls, it also contests elections in states under collective leadership.
Sushma Swaraj, who held a joint press conference with party leader Arun Jaitley, said there was no tussle on the leadership issue.
There has been heightened speculation about BJP’s prime ministerial candidate after Advani last month announced his plans to go on an anti-corruption rath yatra and Gujarat Chief Minister Narendra Modi went on a sadbhavna fast earlier this month. Both Sushma Swaraj and Jaitley are seen as contenders for the post.
- Despite yatra, Advani is no Vajpayee (Comment) - Nov 26, 2011
- Decision on prime ministerial candidate at appropriate time: BJP - Sep 10, 2012
- BJP says PM not confident; asks cadre to be ready for polls - Oct 02, 2011
- BJP backs Advani's anti-corruption 'yatra' - Sep 09, 2011
- Advani's last throw of the dice (Comment) - Oct 15, 2011
- BJP's PM wannabes more enthusiastic than party (Comment) - Sep 17, 2011
- RSS, BJP deny differences on Advani yatra - Sep 21, 2011
- No surefire winners in race to be PM (Comment) - Sep 24, 2011
- Advani is emotive as Rajnath calls him PM material (Lead) - Nov 08, 2011
- Was amazed to see Advani's energy during yatra: Prasad - Dec 24, 2011
- Thackeray bats for Sushma Swaraj as PM, BJP says decision later (Second Lead) - Sep 10, 2012
- In yatra mode, Advani slams UPA, ducks PM candidate issue - Oct 10, 2011
- Despite grand show, few takers for Modi as future PM - Sep 19, 2011
- His 'yatra' over, Advani calls for UPA's ouster (Roundup) - Nov 20, 2011
- Gadkari intervenes in Reddy brothers' row, says all ministers unanimous choice - May 28, 2011
Tags: advani, arun jaitley, assembly polls, bharatiya janata party, chief minister, collective leadership, contenders, general elections, gujarat, leader of opposition, leadership issue, Lok Sabha, narendra modi, New Delhi, party leader, prime ministerial candidate, speculation, sushma swaraj, tussle, yatra