BJP opportunistic, says SibalMarch 27th, 2011 - 5:36 pm ICT by IANS
New Delhi, March 27 (IANS) Communications Minister Kapil Sibal Sunday called the Bharatiya Janata Party (BJP) “opportunistic”, after a leaked US diplomatic cable quoted BJP’s Arun Jaitley as saying that Hindutva was “an opportunistic issue” for the party.
“This is very, very serious. This means that a political party (BJP) is using Hindutva as an opportunistic issue. Because of this opportunism thousands lost their lives,” Sibal told reporters here, referring to the “rath yatra” of then BJP president L.K. Advani.
“The Babri masjid issue was also opportunism to mislead the people,” he said.
“The Congress has been saying for years that the BJP is misleading the people. Even its ideology is such that they say something in front of the people and something at their back,” Sibal added.
The minister was referring to a leaked US diplomatic cable of May 2005 which gives a purported account of a conversation between Jaitley and a US embassy official in New Delhi.
According to the cable leaked by whistleblower website WikiLeaks, Jaitley said that Hindu nationalism was an opportunistic issue for the party and something that helped it to garner votes.
- BJP used religion as opportunistic tool: Congress (Lead) - Mar 27, 2011
- Facing attack, Jaitley again clarifies on 'opportunistic' WikiLeaks - Mar 28, 2011
- Jaitley hopes Congress takes WikiLeaks cable on cash for vote scam seriously - Mar 28, 2011
- Gadkari defends Jaitely on WikiLeaks expose - Mar 27, 2011
- Sibal pulls up BJP over WikiLeaks revelations - Mar 27, 2011
- WikiLeaks revelations: Congress sharpens attack on Jaitley - Mar 27, 2011
- Arun Jaitley denies 'opportunistic' remark in WikiLeaks cable - Mar 26, 2011
- Hindutva sheet anchor of our ideological thinking, says RSS - Mar 28, 2011
- Jaitley dismisses Wikileaks expose - Mar 26, 2011
- BJP has lost moral right to question: Congress - Mar 30, 2011
- Assange bitterly disappointed with Oz Govt over barring his entry to country - Dec 05, 2010
- Don't club cricket with diplomacy, says Sushma Swaraj - Mar 31, 2011
- Any embassy official can create strife in India: PM - Mar 23, 2011
- Mayawati rubbishes WikiLeaks cables, calls Assange mad - Sep 06, 2011
- PM 'rejects firmly' bribery allegation on 2008 trust vote (Lead) - Mar 18, 2011
Tags: arun jaitley, babri masjid, bharatiya janata party, bjp, congress, embassy official, hindu nationalism, hindutva, kapil sibal, l k advani, New Delhi, opportunism, rath yatra, us embassy, wikileaks