BJP MP’s nephew arrested in RTI activist murder caseSeptember 7th, 2010 - 9:31 pm ICT by IANS
Gandhinagar, Sep 7 (IANS) The nephew of Bharatiya Janata Party (BJP) MP from Junagadh, Dinu Solanki, was Tuesday arrested in the murder of Right to Information (RTI) activist Amit Jethwa, officials said.
Ahmedabad crime branch chief Mohan Jha said Shiva Solanki, an office-bearer of the Kodinar municipality, had been picked up from Rajkot while on his way to board a flight for Mumbai. He is the fourth to be arrested in the case.
Jethwa, shot by two unidentified motor-cycle borne assailants opposite the high court July 20, had taken on the illegal mining in the vicinity of the Sasan Gir lion sanctuary and the coastal Saurashtra belt. The high court ordered a survey of all mining going on in the region after he filed a public interest litigation (PIL) on the issue.
Though shot from close range, he courageously took on his assailants, pulling them off the vehicle and forcing them to flee on foot, leaving behind telltale evidence including the vehicle.
The other three people arrested so far included Bahadursinh Vadher, a police constable, Pachan Shiva, who was allegedly one of the two motorcycle-borne assailants, and Sanjay Chauhan. Solanki’s arrest came after one of the arrested revealed his involvement.
The activist’s father Bhikabhai Jethwa had alleged that the BJP MP was behind murder.
- MP's nephew in remand for RTI activist's murder - Sep 08, 2010
- BJP MP's nephew arrested for role in Amit Jethwa murder case - Sep 07, 2010
- Policy to curb illegal mining soon, Gujarat tells court - Oct 18, 2010
- Slain RTI activist's father wants action against MP - Aug 01, 2011
- Accused BJP MP goes underground in Right to Information activist murder case - Jul 22, 2010
- Constable held for Gujarat RTI activist's killing - Aug 17, 2010
- Gujarat court accepts plea for CBI probe in activist's murder - Apr 07, 2011
- RTI activist Amit Jethwa shot dead in Gujarat - Jul 21, 2010
- BJP MP killed my son: RTI activist's father - Jul 21, 2010
- One more arrested for RTI activist's murder - Aug 19, 2010
- RTI activist's killing sets off row in Rajya Sabha - Feb 24, 2011
- Gujarat govt. criticised for shielding tainted legislator Solanki - Jul 22, 2010
- Slain Gujarat activist's kin join illegal mining case - Aug 23, 2010
- Cabinet clears Whistleblowers protection Bill (Lead) - Aug 09, 2010
- Four arrested for stabbing Porbandar RTI activist - Jun 25, 2011
Tags: assailants, bjp, branch chief, close range, crime branch, dinu, janata party, jha, junagadh, lion sanctuary, mohan, motor cycle, murder case, office bearer, police constable, public interest litigation, sanjay, sasan gir, saurashtra, solanki