BJP MP, supporters booked for attacking policeJanuary 1st, 2011 - 6:31 pm ICT by IANS
Gorakhpur (Uttar Pradesh), Jan 1 (IANS) A Bharatiya Janata Party (BJP) MP and around 60 of his supporters were Saturday booked for attacking police and freeing three men from custody in this Uttar Pradesh city, officials said.Kamlesh Paswan, who represents Bansgaon constituency in Gorakhpur district, and his supporters attacked the police party late Friday near the Gulharia Bazar and freed three men held for drunk driving and creating nuisance on the New Year Eve.
“The MP and several of his supporters intercepted us and attacked our vehicle to free the three men, who probably had some relations with a close aide of the parliamentarian,” police inspector P.K. Singh told reporters in the city, some 300 km from Lucknow.
“Later, assisted by the force of various police stations, we raided the MP’s house, but could not find him or any of his supporters involved in the attack,” he added.
According to police, Paswan has been booked under multiple sections of the Indian Penal Code (IPC), including 506 (criminal intimidation), 504 (intent to provoke breach of peace), 341 (wrongful restraint) and 332 (causing hurt to deter public servant from performing duty).
Police are yet to make any arrest in the case.
- BJP parliamentarian booked in Uttar Pradesh - Jan 06, 2011
- MLA arrested for assaulting policemen - Aug 27, 2010
- Poonam Mahajan is BJP youth wing vice president - Aug 13, 2010
- Three booked for assaulting Ghaziabad officials - Mar 18, 2012
- 20 dead in UP road accident - Apr 29, 2012
- Salman Khan booked for assaulting activist - Nov 30, 2011
- Samajwadi Party legislator booked for rape - Sep 17, 2010
- Union minister booked for murder (Second Lead) - Feb 11, 2009
- South Korean woman tourist robbed in Uttar Pradesh - Jul 19, 2011
- Dalit teenagers accused of theft, heads shaved by force - May 29, 2009
- Good turnout in Hisar by-election - Oct 13, 2011
- Maoist held in Uttar Pradesh - Aug 03, 2011
- BSP lawmaker in Uttar Pradesh booked for assaulting Dalits - Oct 24, 2009
- Three arrested with drugs worth Rs.1 crore - Feb 07, 2011
- BJP faces rebellion over Kushwaha's induction (Roundup) - Jan 06, 2012
Tags: bharatiya janata party, bjp, breach of peace, city officials, constituency, criminal intimidation, duty police, indian penal code, mp, new year, new year eve, nuisance, parliamentarian, paswan, police inspector, police stations, public servant, three men, uttar pradesh city