BJP MLA resigns from assembly, may join CongressSeptember 12th, 2008 - 9:28 pm ICT by IANS
New Delhi, Sep 12 (IANS) Ahead of assembly elections, the Bharatiya Janata Party (BJP) Friday suffered a setback in Delhi when one of its legislators, Dayanand Chandila, resigned from the house and the party. Chandila, elected from Vishnu Garden in west Delhi, gave up his seat after some of his party colleagues criticised him for praising the Congress for promising to legalise unauthorized colonies.
“I have suffered for supporting the truth but I don’t have any problem. I have always supported the truth and would continue to do so,” an unfazed Chandila told IANS.
“I have criticised the Congress over water and electricity problems. But this time they are doing good work on the issue of unauthorized colonies and that is why I praised them,” he added.
Asked whether he would join the Congress before the assembly elections due later this year, Chandila said: “I cannot say anything about joining the Congress as yet. I can even win as an independent.”
However, a reliable Congress source said: “He is going to join the Congress.”
He said that Gujjar leader Ramvir Singh Bidhuri, who resigned from the Nationalist Congress Party (NCP) a few days ago, was also set to join the Congress.
“There are two others who would also join us very soon but their names can’t be revealed at present,” he added.
Chandila met Delhi Chief Minister Sheila Dikshit and other Congress leaders after his resignation, adding fuel to speculation that he might join the Congress.
Asked if Chandila would join the Congress, Dikshit said: “I have just heard that he has resigned from his party. But what would be the future, I can’t tell right now.”
- Fake marks-sheet case: Congress legislator offers to resign - Mar 06, 2012
- Fake marks-sheet: Dikshit's aide offers to resign (Lead, superseding earlier story) - Mar 06, 2012
- No question of quitting Congress: Virbhadra - Aug 01, 2012
- Hectic efforts on to save Karnataka's BJP government (Second lead) - May 14, 2012
- I have not resigned: Amarinder - Mar 09, 2012
- Saddened by trends, Goa Congress legislator to 'take a nap' - Mar 06, 2012
- Civic poll loss not a referendum on me: Dikhit (Lead) - Apr 18, 2012
- Delhi sets up task force for regularization of colonies - Sep 11, 2012
- Delhi Lokayukta should answer on report: Sheila Dikshit - Mar 23, 2012
- BJP seeks Dikshit's resignation (Lead) - Aug 06, 2011
- Virbhadra determined to steer assembly poll (Himachal Pradesh Newsletter) - Aug 03, 2012
- Three legislators quit Congress, join TRS - Oct 30, 2011
- Plot ownership rights for seven lakh Delhi families - Jul 17, 2012
- Can't discuss CAG report before PAC's examination: Dikshit - Aug 30, 2011
- Congress assures sulking Virbhadra of larger say in candidate selection (Lead) - Jul 28, 2012