BJP legislator in Andhra Pradesh joins CongressNovember 19th, 2008 - 4:11 pm ICT by IANS
Hyderabad, Nov 18 (IANS) One of only two legislators belonging to the Bharatiya Janata Party (BJP) in Andhra Pradesh Wednesday joined the ruling Congress party.P. Dorababu joined the Congress in the presence of Chief Minister Y.S. Rajasekhara Reddy and state Congress president D. Srinivas here.
Dorababu, who represents Pithapuram assembly constituency in East Godavari district, told reporters that he was impressed by the development and welfare schemes of by the Congress government in the last four years.
He had declared his intention to quit the BJP Nov 12, a day before party president L.K. Advani addressed a public meeting here.
Dorababu said he would also quit as a member of state assembly. With his defection, the BJP has only one member in the 294-member assembly.
- Two Congress lawmakers in Andhra quit, side with Jagan - Jun 04, 2012
- YSR Congress Party wins Nellore Lok Sabha, 14 assembly seats (Third Lead) - Jun 15, 2012
- Andhra speaker rejects resignations of 61 lawmakers - Nov 28, 2011
- Jagan leaves jail to vote in presidential poll (Lead) - Jul 19, 2012
- Jagan's mother, sister storm Andhra by-poll scene (With images) - May 31, 2012
- Jagan continues 48-hour fast for farmers - Dec 22, 2010
- Jagan shows his strength, warns Congress leadership - Jul 30, 2010
- All set for swearing-in of new Andhra cabinet - Nov 30, 2010
- Congress legislators loyal to Jagan plan to quit - Aug 19, 2011
- Jagan formally launches YSR Congress Party - Mar 12, 2011
- Andhra speaker accepts resignations of two TDP members - Nov 13, 2011
- Jagan quits Congress and parliament, mother resigns as MLA - Nov 29, 2010
- Andhra speaker disqualifies 16 Jagan loyalists (Lead) - Mar 03, 2012
- Jagan juggernaut in Delhi, challenges Congress in Andhra - Jan 11, 2011
- Jagan announces Y.S.R. Congress Party - Mar 11, 2011