BJP leader’s sister drugged, left to die by kinAugust 30th, 2011 - 9:28 pm ICT by IANS
New Delhi, Aug 30 (IANS) The 60-year-old sister of Delhi BJP leader Harsh Vardhan was given around 70 sleeping pills and dumped to die near the AIIMS mortuary by her daughter-in-law, police said Tuesday.
Reena Singhal, 28, of Anand Vihar in east Delhi, was arrested Saturday for drugging Asha Singhal with a view to kill her and grab her property, police said.
Reena procured sleep inducing drug Libotryp and mixed around 70 tablets in milk, which she gave it to her mother-in-law Aug 24 at around 11 a.m., a police officer said.
The woman immediately fell unconscious.
“Reena then hired a vehicle and took her mother-in-law to several hospitals in Shahdara and Sahibabad (Uttar Pradesh) to dump her,” a police officer said.
But due to the presence of a large number of people around the gates of these hospitals, she could not do so.
Reena finally left the woman on the footpath in front of the mortuary at the All India Institute of Medical Sciences (AIIMS) and left, police said.
The same evening, Reena filed a report with police that her mother-in-law was missing. Reena is married to Asha’s son Parag Singhal.
Unknown to Reena, an AIIMS mortuary employee saw the unconscious woman and had her admitted in the hospital. There doctors retrieved her but had no idea who she was.
Police got the breakthrough when a tailor in Reena’s neighbourhood revealed that the unconscious mother-in-law was put in a car by none other than the daughter-in-law.
Faced with the statement, Reena eventually confessed to the crime, police said. She told police her motive.
Asha had recently sold some property. The final transaction was to take place Oct 3.
“Reena thought that if her mother-in-law was put away, she would become get hold of at least 50 percent of the money,” said the officer.
- Woman kills mother-in-law with paramour's help - Aug 18, 2012
- Love your bahus, say telly moms-in-law - May 10, 2012
- Chinese woman kills mother-in-law, toddler - Sep 12, 2012
- Woman kills mother-in-law, held - Aug 25, 2011
- Woman nabbed for killing mother-in-law - Mar 17, 2012
- Taliban kill woman accused of murdering mother-in-law in Afghanistan - Oct 17, 2010
- Woman assaulted, raped by neighbour - Apr 03, 2011
- Flames, hot tongs kill woman visiting quack - Apr 13, 2011
- Newly-wedded woman sedates in-laws, decamps with Rs.4 lakh - Jul 22, 2010
- Woman arrested for killing mother-in-law - Aug 10, 2010
- Dowry death: Victim's brothers-in-law get anticipatory bail - Jun 22, 2012
- Dowry death: Victim's mother-in-law told to surrender - Jun 20, 2012
- Three held in Bengal for forcing woman to foetus sex test - Aug 07, 2012
- Woman, mother-in-law die in fire - Nov 22, 2011
- Australian tourist found dead in Jaipur hotel - Dec 15, 2011
Tags: aiims, all india institute of medical sciences, bjp leader, breakthrough, crime police, east delhi, footpath, harsh vardhan, india institute, mortuary, mother in law, motive, neighbourhood, New Delhi, police officer, reena, singhal, sleeping pills, tailor, unconscious woman