BJP lawmaker gets seven-year jail for Kandhamal murderJune 29th, 2010 - 5:59 pm ICT by IANS
Bhubaneswar, June 29 (IANS) A fast track court in Orissa Tuesday sentenced Bharatiya Janata Party (BJP) legislator Manoj Pradhan to seven years imprisonment in a murder case during the 2008 communal riots in Kandhamal.
Judge Sobhan Kumar Das of the fast track court I in Kandhamal handed down the sentence to Pradhan and another accused, Prafulla Mallik, for the murder of Pariskhita Digal in Barpenga village Aug 25, 2008, defence lawyer Ajit Patnaik told IANS.
The court asked them to pay a fine of Rs.6,000 as well, he said.
Kandhamal district, about 200 km from here, witnessed widespread violence after the murder of Vishwa Hindu Parishad (VHP) leader Swami Laxmanananda Saraswati and four of his aides at his ashram Aug 23, 2008.
More than 25,000 Christians were forced to flee their homes after their houses were attacked by rampaging mobs that held Christians responsible for Saraswati’s killing, although the police blamed the Maoists.
Pradhan represents G Udaygiri constituency in the state assembly.
- BJP lawmaker gets seven-year jail for Kandhamal murder (Lead) - Jun 29, 2010
- BJP lawmaker gets jail for murder in Kandhamal riots - Sep 09, 2010
- Two get six-year jail in Kandhamal riots case - Jun 30, 2010
- Kandhamal riots case: Man gets three-year jail term - Sep 29, 2010
- 18 acquitted in Kandhamal riot cases - Jan 29, 2011
- Eight get jail terms for Kandhamal violence - Nov 26, 2010
- Kandhamal riots case: 15 get three-year jail term - Sep 30, 2010
- 15 get three-year jail in Kandhamal riots case - Sep 30, 2010
- BJP legislator acquitted in Kandhamal riots case - Nov 24, 2009
- BJP legislator surrenders after apex court rejects bail - Mar 09, 2011
- Five get lifer in Kandhamal violence (Lead, Correcting third para) - Sep 23, 2009
- Nine get jail, one acquitted in Kandhamal riots case - Mar 16, 2010
- Kandhamal riots: Jail term for 13 - May 18, 2011
- Nine people sent to jail for burning houses in Kandhamal - Dec 27, 2010
- Two convicted, three acquitted in Kandhamal riot case - Apr 20, 2010
Tags: ajit, ashram, communal riots, constituency, defence lawyer, digal, fast track, imprisonment, lawmaker, legislator, mallik, maoists, mobs, murder case, orissa, rs 6, saraswati, state assembly, swami, vishwa hindu parishad