BJP hits back at prime ministerSeptember 27th, 2011 - 11:48 pm ICT by IANS
New Delhi, Sep 27 (IANS) The Bharatiya Janata Party (BJP) Tuesday hit back at Prime Minister Manmohan Singh for saying the opposition wants to “destabilise polity” and demanded he “sack Home Minister P. Chidambaram for his role in the 2G spectrum scam”.
BJP spokesperson Ravi Shankar Prasad said: “Prime Minister Manmohan Singh always defends his corrupt ministers, be it A. Raja or P. Chidambaram.”
Prasad criticised the prime minister for saying “the opposition wants to destabilise polity” and said: “He should sack Chidambaram for his role in the 2G scam.”
He made the statement following a meeting of party’s members in the Joint Parliamentary Committee, examining the 2G spectrum scam, at senior BJP leader L.K. Advani’s residence Tuesday evening.
Prime Minister made the remarks on board his special aircraft Tuesday on his way back home after attending the UN General Assembly session.
Earlier, BJP spokesperson Nirmala Sitharaman demanded the prime minister immediately remove Chidambaram from the cabinet without waiting for a probe into his alleged role in the 2G spectrum scam.
The BJP spokesperson said the party wanted to know why Chidambaram, as finance minister in 2008, changed the allocation of 2G spectrum from the auction route, allocated spectrum in 2007 at 2001 prices and did not stop the loss to the government exchequer.
The prime minister and Congress president Sonia Gandhi will meet separately with ministers and party leaders Wednesday to defuse the crisis over 2G spectrum allocation that has hit the government.
Gandhi, recuperating after surgery Aug 4, is making efforts to defuse the situation.
- Sack Chidambaram, demands BJP - Sep 27, 2011
- JPC gets into 2G saga, PM backs Chidambaram - Sep 28, 2011
- BJP targets PM, Chidambaram on 2G - Oct 22, 2011
- BJP alleges Chidambaram's role in 2G scam - Jun 15, 2011
- PM should sack Chidambaram: Gadkari - Sep 25, 2011
- Chidambaram can't escape political onus of 2G decisions: BJP (Lead) - Aug 24, 2012
- PM has to break silence on 2G, S-band, inflation: BJP (Lead) - Feb 15, 2011
- BJP seeks Chidambaram's ouster - Jul 08, 2011
- BJP says 'culpability' of Chidambaram evident in 2G - Sep 23, 2011
- BJP wants discussion on PM's role in 2G scam (Lead) - Aug 01, 2011
- Congress defends Chidambaram, BJP wants his ouster (Roundup) - Sep 24, 2011
- PM has to break silence on 2G, S-band, inflation: BJP - Feb 15, 2011
- PM says opposition wants early polls, rejects dissension over 2G - Sep 27, 2011
- PM reiterates confidence in Chidambaram, says full term for UPA-II - Sep 28, 2011
- Congress trying to use CBI to harass us, claims BJP - Jul 28, 2011
Tags: assembly session, bharatiya janata party, bjp leader, congress president sonia gandhi, finance minister, home minister, l k advani, manmohan, manmohan singh, p chidambaram, parliamentary committee, party leaders, polity, prasad, prime minister manmohan, prime minister manmohan singh, ravi shankar, spectrum allocation, tuesday evening, un general assembly