‘BJP giving moral support to Ramdev campaign’ (Lead)June 4th, 2011 - 5:36 pm ICT by IANS
Lucknow, June 4 (IANS) Hitting out at Congress general secretary Digvijay Singh for raising questions over Baba Ramdev’s anti-graft fast, the Bharatiya Janata Party (BJP) here Saturday said it believes that the protest would “reach its destination by bringing the black money stashed in foreign bank accounts back to the country.”
Attacking Digvijay Singh for calling Ramdev an agent of the Rashtriya Swayamsevak Sangh (RSS), BJP leader Shahnawaz Hussain said: “He (Singh) must tell whose agent is he and who has made him the agent…It’s a matter of research…We are working on it. He is not the spokesperson of the Congress, so in which capacity is he making such comments?”
Terming Digvijay Singh as the general secretary of Congress president Sonia Gandhi, Hussain said: “He should clear his stand over the entire (Ramdev) issue. On one hand, four ministers of Manmohan Singh (government) make attempts to pacify Ramdev, on the other hand, he (Digvijay Singh) is making statements that the government could have arrested Ramdev if it apprehended any threat from him. The Congress is known for its dual policies.”
“We challenge Digvijay Singh to arrest a single person who stands to fight against corruption…In a country like ours, democracy prevails and not autocracy. I demand that Digvijay Singh should withdraw the comments he made against Ramdev,” said Hussain.
Asked whether BJP senior leaders, including L.K. Advani, would share the dais with Ramdev during his mass hunger strike, Hussain said: “We will extend moral support to the campaign…the BJP will stand by every individual or campaign that intends to fight corruption. We firmly believe the campaign will reach its destination in bringing back the black money.”
Digvijay Singh earlier in the day questioned Ramdev’s “strong affiliations with RSS”.
“The foot soldiers in the fast are from the RSS. It is evident that he (Ramdev) is piggybacking on the RSS,” the Congress leader said.
- BJP hits out at Digvijay Singh for Ramdev-RSS remarks - Jun 04, 2011
- Thousands join Ramdev's fast, Congress calls it 'five-star satyagraha' (Evening Lead) - Jun 04, 2011
- Digvijay Singh slams Ramdev's 'five-star satyagraha' - Jun 04, 2011
- Digvijay targets Sri Sri, renews attack on RSS-BJP - Oct 27, 2011
- Ramdev's fast a 'five-star satyagraha', says Digvijay Singh (Lead) - Jun 04, 2011
- Ramdev ends fast, battlelines remain drawn (Roundup) - Jun 12, 2011
- RSS workers at Ramlila ground - Jun 04, 2011
- Your supporters misleading you, Digvijay tells Anna (Roundup) - Oct 11, 2011
- Ramdev ends fast, vows to fight corruption (Second Lead) - Jun 12, 2011
- BJP taking politics 'from Ram to Ramdev', says Digvijay - Jun 07, 2011
- No difference between Congress and BJP, Anna tells Digvijay - Oct 14, 2011
- You cannot ignore Digvijay Singh - Jun 26, 2011
- Ramdev threatens to form armed force, government slams him (Intro Roundup) - Jun 08, 2011
- Ramdev ends fast, battlelines remain drawn (Intro Roundup) - Jun 12, 2011
- Midnight swoop on Ramdev gives government nightmares (Intro Roundup) - Jun 05, 2011
Tags: affiliations, anti graft, baba ramdev, bharatiya janata party, bjp leader, black money, congress leader, congress president sonia gandhi, corruption, dais, digvijay singh, foot soldiers, general secretary, hunger strike, l k advani, manmohan, manmohan singh, moral support, rashtriya swayamsevak sangh, spokesperson