BJP finds it tough to choose Chhattisgarh assembly speakerDecember 16th, 2008 - 3:25 pm ICT by IANS
Raipur, Dec 16 (IANS) Chhattisgarh’s ruling Bharatiya Janata Party (BJP) is finding it tough to find a legislator who is willing to become the speaker of the assembly since most of them want cabinet berths, party officials said Tuesday.BJP leader Premprakash Pandey, who was the last assembly speaker, cannot continue in the position since he lost the November election although the party retained power with 50 seats in a 90-member legislative body.
Chief Minister Raman Singh is expected to announce names of his ministerial colleagues later this week. Party sources said about 20 senior leaders are making all efforts to be chosen for the 13-member council of ministers.
BJP leaders said they want a dominant politician to be the next assembly speaker. Three people, including former forests and revenue minister Brijmohan Agrawal, were requested to take up the post but they refused.
“We favour a strong leader with a sound educational background for the speaker’s post but all want to be ministers,” a BJP leader said.
He added that the party is now trying to convince Other Backward Castes (OBC) leader and former Lok Sabha MP Chandrasekhar Sahu to become the speaker.
- Chhattisgarh assembly adjourned amid protests - Dec 08, 2010
- Chhattisgarh government defeats no-confidence motion (Lead) - Dec 20, 2011
- Fierce debate as Chhattisgarh assembly discusses no-trust motion - Dec 16, 2011
- BJP faces tough fight in Chhattisgarh by-poll - Feb 05, 2011
- Rajendra Arlekar elected Goa assembly Speaker (Lead) - Mar 19, 2012
- BJP, Congress claim victory ahead of Chhattisgarh by-poll results - Oct 03, 2010
- Chhattisgarh killing issue rocks assembly - Jul 13, 2012
- Chhattisgarh assembly to take up no-trust motion Friday - Dec 15, 2011
- Chhattisgarh ministers appear for 'test' before Gadkari - Aug 11, 2011
- Chhattisgarh BJP wooing tribals in violence-hit Bastar - Jun 10, 2012
- Chhattisgarh cabinet reshuffled (Lead) - Feb 18, 2012
- Chhattisgarh ministers violated poll code: Congress - Jan 22, 2011
- Hectic lobbying on for new Chhattisgarh Congress chief - Mar 21, 2011
- Chhattisgarh BJP dares Congress to prove corruption charges - Nov 08, 2011
- Chhattisgarh legislators take dip at Kumbh mela - Mar 28, 2010