BJP criticises Delhi government on women’s safetyOctober 11th, 2008 - 10:33 pm ICT by IANS
New Delhi, Oct 11 (IANS) The Bharatiya Janata Party (BJP) Saturday accused Delhi’s Congress government of turning the capital into the most woman unfriendly city in India.“Delhi represents India internationally and it is now perceived as the most unsafe city,” said BJP leader Sushma Swaraj at a discussion on crimes against women here.
She challenged Delhi Chief Minister Sheila Dikshit to say if any area, any hour or any age group was safe for women.
“The present government has been a total failure in containing crime in the city,” Swaraj said.
Speaking on the occasion, BJP spokesperson Prakash Javadekar said: “Sheila Dikshit’s comment, which came out unconsciously, on the murdered journalist Soumya Vishwanathan, that she was being adventurous also shows the mentality of society. This needs to be changed by taking firm action.”
Vishwanathan, 25, was found dead in her car in the Vasant Kunj area of south Delhi around 3.30 a.m. Sep 30 when she was returning home from work. Police are investigating the case.
- Women activists slam Delhi Police chief's remark (Lead) - Jul 10, 2011
- Charge sheet filed in journalist Soumya's murder - Jun 11, 2010
- Police chief draws flak over women's safety comment - Jul 10, 2011
- Politicians raise heat over college girl's murder - Mar 09, 2011
- Delhi mayor attacks chief minister over women's safety - May 08, 2012
- Scribe murder case: Accused alleges torture in jail - Jul 04, 2010
- Poll results prove women power, tweets Sushma Swaraj - May 13, 2011
- Last absconding suspect in Soumya Vishwanathan murder held - Apr 06, 2009
- Women raped by cab driver in south Delhi - Dec 13, 2011
- BJP warns against imposing President's Rule in Orissa (Lead) - Oct 06, 2008
- Soumya, Jigisha murder cases solved, four held - Mar 24, 2009
- Gaiety, fanfare as India celebrates International Women's Day (Roundup) - Mar 08, 2011
- Soumya, Jigisha murder accused charged under MCOCA - Apr 08, 2009
- Killers of Soumya, Jigisha arrested, claim police (Third Lead) - Mar 24, 2009
- Delhi Lt. Governor's wife dead - Dec 12, 2010