BJP complains to poll panel over quota controversyFebruary 17th, 2012 - 3:18 pm ICT by IANS
New Delhi, Feb 17 (IANS) The Bharatiya Janata Party (BJP) Friday approached the Election Commission (EC) seeking stringent action against Congress leader Beni Prasad Verma for promising sub-quota for Muslims if his party was voted to power in Uttar Pradesh.
The BJP submitted a memorandum to the poll panel, alleging Verma violated the election model code of conduct and asking for registration of a criminal case against him.
“We told the Election Commission that the Congress party manifesto did not mention anything about sub-quotas for minorities and by making such a statement Beni Prasad has violated the model code of conduct,” said BJP general secretary J.P. Nadda.
“We said such defaulters should be prosecuted and a criminal case be registered against them,” he said.
The BJP also provided a copy of the CD of Verma’s speech in Farrukhabad, which re-ignited the row over quota for minorities in the state.
“The Election Commission has assured us that they will take appropriate action against Verma under the law,” he added.
- BJP complains to poll panel against Verma's quota remarks (Lead) - Feb 17, 2012
- Poll panel asks Verma to explain 'wilfull' sub-quota remark (Lead) - Feb 18, 2012
- After Khurshid, another minister promises quotas in UP - Feb 16, 2012
- Congress in quota controversy again (Lead) - Feb 16, 2012
- Not guilty of violating model code, Verma tells poll panel (Lead) - Feb 21, 2012
- Quota remarks: Poll panel notice to Verma, minister unfazed (Second Lead) - Feb 18, 2012
- Congress leader re-ignites quota controversy, opposition furious (Roundup) - Feb 16, 2012
- Congress to reply to poll panel on Verma's comments - Feb 20, 2012
- Have not violated poll code, says Khurshid - Jan 11, 2012
- Quota row: Poll panel notice to Khurshid on BJP's complaint (Night Lead) - Jan 11, 2012
- BJP moves EC over Khurshid's remarks on Muslim quota (Evening Lead) - Jan 10, 2012
- GoM didn't discuss poll code: Narayanasamy (Lead) - Feb 22, 2012
- All respect for poll panel but said nothing wrong: Verma - Feb 18, 2012
- Will oppose any move to weaken poll panel: BJP - Feb 21, 2012
- Take action against Khurshid, BJP tells poll panel - Jan 10, 2012