BJP complains to Election Commission over petrol price cutNovember 26th, 2008 - 3:46 pm ICT by IANS
New Delhi, Nov 26 (IANS) The Bharatiya Janata Party (BJP) Wednesday complained to the Election Commission that the Congress-led government’s announcement to reduce the prices of petrol and diesel after Dec 24 violated the model electoral code of conduct laid down by the Commission.”We submitted a memorandum to the full bench of the Commission demanding strict action against the Congress party for making such an announcement when the elections are still going on in five states though the process in Chhattisgarh is over,” BJP vice-president Mukhtar Abbas Naqvi told IANS.
Naqvi, who was accompanied by party spokesperson Ravi Shanker Prasad and BJP secretary Balbir Punj, said the government’s promise to reduce the petroleum prices was a “clear cut violation of the code of conduct.”
Union Petroleum Minister Murli Deora Tuesday said the government will reduce the prices of petrol and diesel after Dec 24 when the elections in the states get over.
He said there was a feeling among the people that the prices should be brought down after the fall in international crude rates and that he also agreed with it.
The BJP was the first to demand a price reduction repeatedly over the last one week.
- Poll panel sends notice to Deora on fuel price cut - Nov 26, 2008
- Take action against Khurshid, BJP tells poll panel - Jan 10, 2012
- BJP asks government not to hike fuel prices - May 05, 2011
- Quota row: Poll panel notice to Khurshid on BJP's complaint (Night Lead) - Jan 11, 2012
- BJP moves EC over Khurshid's remarks on Muslim quota (Evening Lead) - Jan 10, 2012
- BJP takes Khurshid's quota comment to poll panel (Lead) - Jan 10, 2012
- Deoras announcement to cut fuel prices creates poll row - Nov 26, 2008
- Poll panel gives clean chit to Deora - Dec 02, 2008
- Poll panel goes to president over defiant Khurshid (Lead) - Feb 12, 2012
- Poll panel goes to president over defiant Khurshid (Second Lead) - Feb 12, 2012
- Announcement of petrol price cut violates poll code: BJP - Nov 25, 2008
- Congress in quota controversy again (Lead) - Feb 16, 2012
- BJP, CPI-M oppose any hike in petrol, diesel prices - Jun 07, 2010
- NDA shutdown against petrol hike Thursday - May 30, 2012
- Pakistan reduces petroleum prices - Jul 01, 2011