BJP compares Anna detention to Emergency eraAugust 16th, 2011 - 3:25 pm ICT by IANS
New Delhi, Aug 16 (IANS) The Bharatiya Janata Party (BJP) Tuesday blamed the government for creating an “Emergency like situation” by detaining Gandhian activist Anna Hazare.
“The government is creating an Emergency like situation by depriving the opposition of the right to speak in parliament and arresting Hazare and his supporters,” BJP leader Sushma Swaraj said.
“Government ministers indulge in corruption. And when someone raises a voice against corruption, the government crushes them. This government is treading the path of Emergency,” she told reporters.
The reference was to the 1975-77 Emergency imposed on the country when thousands of political activists were jailed and constitutional rights were suspended.
The comments from Sushma Swaraj, who is leader of the opposition in the Lok Sabha, came shortly after Hazare and his key aides were arrested while readying to launch a hunger strike in support of a strong Lokpal Bill.
BJP spokesperson Nirmala Sitharaman spoke on similar lines separately.
“It is now an undeclared kind of Emergency.
“It is the government which has no strategy, no leadership, and a government which does not know how to deal with the opposition, nor with the civil society,” she added.
- Kejriwal hits out at restrictions on Hazare's fast - Aug 15, 2011
- Government failure led to Anna's victory, says BJP - Apr 09, 2011
- Anna's arrest reminds of Emergency: Naveen Patnaik - Aug 16, 2011
- Anna logjam has PM fuming, mass protests continue (Night Lead) - Aug 17, 2011
- Lokpal bill comes to parliament, opposition protests (Third Lead) - Aug 04, 2011
- Amid Anna storm, PM chides an adamant Hazare (Evening Lead) - Aug 17, 2011
- Anna's movement brought Lokpal issue to people: Sushma Swaraj - Aug 27, 2011
- Why was civil society involved in law making, opposition asks government - Aug 17, 2011
- Anna sent to Tihar Jail, protests engulf India (Evening Lead) - Aug 16, 2011
- PM says Hazare's path is wrong, protests continue (Afternoon Lead) - Aug 17, 2011
- Anna crisis: Rahul steps in, meets PM (Lead) - Aug 16, 2011
- Lokpal bill in parliament -- amid protests (Second Lead) - Aug 04, 2011
- Anna Hazare detained, India outraged (Afternoon Lead) - Aug 16, 2011
- Lokpal bill passed amid Anna fast, but Congress stumped (Intro Roundup) - Dec 28, 2011
- Delhi to Mumbai: MPs debate, Anna protests Lokpal bill (Afternoon Lead) - Dec 27, 2011
Tags: activist, aides, bharatiya janata party, bjp, constitutional rights, corruption, government ministers, hunger strike, leader of the opposition, leadership, Lok Sabha, New Delhi, parliament, political activists, spokesperson, sushma swaraj