BJP calls for suspension of peace process with PakistanDecember 4th, 2008 - 9:45 pm ICT by IANS
New Delhi, Dec 4 (IANS) The Bharatiya Janata Party (BJP) Thursday said it would cooperate with the Congress-led central government if it suspended the “peace process” with Pakistan following the Mumbai terrorist savagery.BJP leaders Jaswant Singh and Arun Shourie told reporters here that Pakistan had rejected all Indian requests after the Mumbai tragedy and urged the government to initiate stern steps to prevent Pakistan from pursuing its “jehadi terrorism.”
The party said the government must evolve a consensus on the measures it was planning. “The consensus cannot come ex-post facto but from consultation and full sharing of facts,” Jaswant Singh stated.
The BJP said it will cooperate with the government in implementing a list of 10 suggestions it had chalked out to fight terrorism.
These include the suspension of the peace process with Pakistan and enactment of the “sternest possible” anti-terrorism laws.
Asked if these are conditions to cooperate the government or suggestions, Jaswant Singh said: “These are suggestions.” When told that they read like conditions, he said: “It is up to you.”
- BJP wants peace talks with Pakistan suspended (Lead) - Dec 04, 2008
- India has risen above blame game, says Pakistani daily - Jul 16, 2011
- India, Pakistan to fight terror in 'new era' of ties (Lead) - Jul 27, 2011
- May quiz Jaswant on telecom issues, CBI tells apex court - Sep 01, 2011
- No notice yet but Jaswant to copperate with CBI - Sep 02, 2011
- Centre trying to trample on rights of states: BJP - May 07, 2012
- Promising 'new era', India, Pakistan unveil new cross-Kashmir CBMs (Night Lead) - Jul 27, 2011
- Bring Mumbai attackers to justice: EU to Pakistan (Lead) - Dec 10, 2010
- India warns of 'dark shadow of terror' from Pakistan - Nov 23, 2011
- Pakistan must fight terrorism strongly: Sarkozy - Dec 06, 2010
- Pak must fight terrorism "determinedly": Sarkozy - Dec 07, 2010
- Shourie to appear before CBI over 2G scam (Roundup) - Feb 13, 2011
- Vice presidential hopefull Jaswant Singh comes full circle - Jul 16, 2012
- Kasab will hang, Supreme Court says (Roundup) - Aug 29, 2012
- Promising 'new era', India, Pakistan unveil cross-Kashmir links (Second Lead) - Jul 27, 2011