BJP, AGP get together for Lok Sabha polls in Assam (Lead, Changing Dateline)March 5th, 2009 - 2:51 pm ICT by IANS
New Delhi, March 5 (IANS) The Bharatiya Janata Party (BJP) Thursday announced an alliance with the Asom Gana Parishad (AGP) for the Lok Sabha elections in Assam.
“In the Lok Sabha elections, BJP would be the major partner, but in the assembly elections in the state the AGP would be the senior partner,” BJP president Rajnath Singh said here.
Of the 14 Lok Sabha seats in Assam, the AGP would contest six seats and the BJP eight, including Guwahati.
BJP’s prime ministerial candidate L.K. Advani said the AGP had been borne of a “nationalist movement and had gained experience in governance as well”.
“This party has come together with the NDA and I welcome it,” he said, expressing the hope that the alliance would help the NDA not just in Assam but also in the 24 seats in the “northeastern sector”.
AGP president Chandra Mohan Patowari said the alliance would signal the “pathetic end” of the Congress.
Patowari blamed Congress for neglecting the problems of Assam, which he said had become the “transit point” for jehadis and extremists.
Assam goes to the polls in two phases on April 16 and 23. Though the BJP has announced an understanding, assembly polls are not due yet.
- AGP scouts for partners ahead of coming Assam polls - Feb 25, 2011
- AGP may again forge ties with BJP - Dec 09, 2010
- Sangma predicts hung assembly for Assam - Apr 18, 2011
- Assam vote count starts - May 13, 2011
- Assam opposition's grand alliance plans floundering? - Mar 11, 2011
- Don't use EVMs in Assam: AGP - Jan 22, 2012
- Assam polls: Congress, AGP vie for AUDF support - Dec 26, 2010
- No leader of opposition for Assam? - May 14, 2011
- AGP unhappy with Assam poll schedule, Congress welcomes it - Mar 02, 2011
- Assam AGP-BJP in secret seat sharing deal? - Mar 07, 2011
- A fractured opposition in Assam - Oct 20, 2010
- We will form Assam government, say both Congress, opposition - May 10, 2011
- AGP releases fourth list of candidates for Assam polls - Mar 12, 2011
- AGP chief loses in Assam - May 13, 2011
- Asom Gana Parishad splits from BJP in Assam - Sep 23, 2010