‘Bitter’ family feud has Mandela family riven: ReportJuly 27th, 2008 - 7:33 pm ICT by IANS
Johannesburg, July 27 (DPA) Nelson Mandela, South Africa’s national hero and anti-Apartheid fighter, has a dispute with his own family. Johannesburg’s The Sunday Times reported Sunday on its front page about a “bitter” feud which is dividing the family of the Nobel Peace Prize laureate.
The dispute even led his ex-wife Winnie Madikizela-Mandela and their two daughters Zindzi and Zenani to boycott the huge 90th birthday party held for Mandela last weekend at his homestead in Qunu in the Eastern Cape.
They stayed away from the party despite personal pleas from Mandela, said the paper.
The Sunday Times said it had obtained a copy of a letter written by the two daughters, in which they announced that neither they nor their children - Mandela’s grandchildren - would attend because they were angry that they were not properly consulted.
Among others, they were upset that the birthday party was not more intimate for family members only and that 500 guests had been invited.
Background for the arguments within the family is also Mandela’s proposed division of his estate and funeral arrangements after his death, the paper said.
Mandela had convened a family meeting about the matter of his estate and funeral arrangements at his farm in Limpopo, but had to call it off because of the differences, The Sunday Times quoted “someone familiar with the matter” as saying.
He had suggested that a large chunk of his estate be awarded to his foundation and that his third wife, Graca Machel, and his favourite grandson Chief Mandla Mandela would also get a portion. The rest would be shared among his children.
- Family force 'frail' Mandela to call off return to prison on 20th anniversary of release - Feb 11, 2010
- Nelson Mandela's great granddaughter killed in a car crash - Jun 11, 2010
- South Africa celebrates 20 years of Mandela's walk to freedom - Feb 11, 2010
- Former President Nelson Mandela discharged from hospital - Jan 28, 2011
- Mandela reveals misery over family's suffering in new book - Oct 13, 2010
- Mandela's daughter, grandchildren attacked after his birthday party - Jul 22, 2010
- Mandela looks healthy on TV - May 31, 2012
- Nelson Mandela admitted to hospital - Jan 27, 2011
- Nelson Mandela's ex Winnie to have her own opera - Dec 28, 2010
- ANC slams Nelson Mandela twitter 'death' hoax - Jan 17, 2011
- Former South African President Mandela goes home to rest - May 23, 2011
- Naomi Campbell's video tribute to Mandela's great-granddaughter - Jun 19, 2010
- Mandela,ex-wife Winnie celebrate 20 years of his freedom from jail - Feb 06, 2010
- Thousands to honour Mandela on 92nd birthday by doing good - Jul 16, 2010
- 12 mn school kids wish Mandela with birthday song - Jul 18, 2012