Bird flu in Darjeeling, culling ordered (Lead)January 3rd, 2009 - 9:08 pm ICT by IANS
Siliguri (West Bengal), Jan 3 (IANS) Bird flu has been detected in West Bengal’s Darjeeling district, prompting the administration Saturday to order culling of 60,000 poultry over three days starting Sunday. Alarmed at the death of 80 poultry at Pubang in Takhdra of Darjeeling subdivision and 67 poultry at Matigara in Siliguri subdivision within a week, the district administration sent the samples to the High Security Disease Diagnostic Laboratory at Bhopal.
“One of the samples has tested positive for avian flu,” the state’s Animal Resources Development Minister Anisur Rehman told IANS over phone.
“We have asked the district administration to take all measures. Culling will start Sunday,” Rehman said.
The development comes 18 days after bird flu struck Malda district in the state.
In Siliguri, Darjeeling district magistrate Surendra Gupta said: “60,000 poultry will be culled over three days from Monday, in both the hills and plains over a five km radius from the epicentre.”
The culling operations will also be conducted at Phulbari of Jalpaiguri district which comes under the radius zone.
Twenty culling teams - 16 in Darjeeling district and 12 in neighbouring Jalpaiguri - comprising altogether 6,000 members, have been set up.
Every household whose poultry is culled would be given Rs.500, Gupta said.
“We will monitor the situation. If required, the culling target will be increased and period extended,” he said.
Restrictions on sale and consumption of poultry have been enforced in parts of Siliguri and Darjeeling sub-divisions besides Phulbari.
Early last year, bird flu had hit Darjeeling district twice, with Bijonbari, Kurseong and Pumding being the affected areas.
On Dec 15 last year, bird flu had hit Malda, and 30,000 poultry were culled.
In January last year, over 200,000 poultry were culled in several West Bengal districts.
- Culling starts in West Bengal's bird flu-hit Darjeeling - Jan 04, 2009
- About 27,000 poultry culled in bird flu-hit West Bengal - Jan 06, 2009
- Bird flu hits Darjeeling - Jan 03, 2009
- Culling continues in bird flu-hit Darjeeling district - Jan 05, 2009
- Fresh outbreak of bird flu in Darjeeling - Jan 07, 2009
- Poll campaigning peaks in north Bengal districts - Apr 13, 2011
- Culling of birds starts in Bengal - Sep 20, 2011
- India confirms bird flu in Bengal, PM concerned - Sep 20, 2011
- Flood-like situation affects 40,000 in north Bengal - Jul 15, 2012
- 3,000 poultry culled over bird flu scare - Dec 27, 2011
- Indian states bordering Bangladesh vulnerable to bird flu (Lead) - Mar 23, 2011
- Indian states bordering Bangladesh vulnerable to bird flu - Mar 23, 2011
- Experts to study cause of bird flu outbreak - Mar 17, 2012
- North Bengal low-lying areas flooded - Aug 27, 2010
- All bridges in Darjeeling will be checked: Mamata - Oct 23, 2011