Biocon proposes R and D centre in PunjabAugust 21st, 2008 - 6:39 pm ICT by IANS
Chandigarh, Aug 21 (IANS) Bio-technology major Biocon has proposed to set up a research and development (R and D) centre in Punjab with an investment of nearly Rs.1 billion and having an employment potential for about 200 scientists, an official said Thursday.The proposal was discussed between Punjab Chief Minister Parkash Singh Badal and Biocon chairperson and managing director Kiran Mazumdar-Shaw at a meeting here Wednesday evening.
Badal said Punjab had taken major initiatives for the promotion of biotechnology in the state including the setting up of National Agri-Food Biotechnology Institute, Bio-Processing Unit and Biotechnology Park in the Knowledge City at Mohali near Chandigarh, said a government spokesperson.
He assured Mazumdar-Shaw that the state government would extend full support to Biocon for setting up its R&D unit in Punjab.
Mazumdar-Shaw emphasized the need to chalk out a joint action programme to involve state’s industry with universities to work together for overcoming all the practical hardships being faced by both the sectors in the field of Bio-Technology.
- Karnataka to have five new bio-tech parks - Jul 11, 2011
- Biocon's Mazumdar-Shaw backs Bt brinjal cultivation - Jan 19, 2010
- Karnataka denies ban on clinical drug trials - May 04, 2011
- Indian biotech sector rebounds on global recovery - Jun 02, 2010
- India eyes $10 billion from biotech sector by 2015 - May 04, 2011
- Bangalore to host 10th edition of biotech expo June 2 - May 25, 2010
- Biocon ties up with Pfizer to market biosimilars - Oct 18, 2010
- Enlistment in army falls in Punjab - Sep 12, 2012
- Parkash Singh Badal set to again be Punjab chief minister (Lead) - Mar 08, 2012
- Biocon net up 33 percent in first quarter - Jul 23, 2010
- Badal stakes claim, invited to form government (Lead) - Mar 09, 2012
- Sonia Gandhi ranked world's sixth most powerful woman - Aug 22, 2012
- Central government to fund Bio-IT facility in Bangalore - Feb 18, 2009
- Punjab bans gutka, pan masala - Aug 27, 2012
- World quality roads for Bangalore - in a few years - Oct 12, 2011