Bin Laden’s freed ex-driver arrives in YemenNovember 27th, 2008 - 2:16 am ICT by IANS
Sana’a (Yemen), Nov 27 (DPA) The former driver of Al Qaeda leader Osama bin Laden arrived in the Yemeni capital Wednesday after his release from the US military prison in Guantanamo Bay, Cuba, security sources said.Salim Hamdan, 40, arrived on a US military plane that landed in a military base near Sana’a International Airport, the sources told DPA.
Hamdan was convicted by a US military commission in August of supporting terrorism and sentenced to five and a half years in prison. He is due for release in January with time served.
He was arrested by the US forces in Afghanistan in 2001, and transferred to the Guantanamo prison in 2002.
Interior Ministry officials said Hamdan was taken to an intelligence prison in Sana’a to serve his sentence.
Around 100 of some 250 detainees at the controversial prison camp in Guantanamo Bay are Yemenis. They have become the single largest nationality locked up in Guantanamo, as the prison’s population steadily declined from a peak of 600 in 2003.
Only 12 Yemenis have been released from the facility since it was set up in 2002. Of these, five were later released by Yemeni authorities while the rest were put on trial in Yemen for falsifying identification documents.
None was charged with terrorism-related activities.
A team of US lawyers representing Yemeni nationals detained at Guantanamo appealed to the Yemeni government last year to take visible steps to secure the release of its citizens.
- Yemen releases Osama bin Laden's ex-driver - Jan 11, 2009
- Al Qaeda leaders killed in Yemen air strike - May 07, 2012
- Guantanamo Bay prisoner commits suicide - May 20, 2011
- No 9/11 accused has gone to the gallows - Sep 10, 2011
- Guantanamo prison stays despite Obama's deadline - Jan 22, 2010
- Somali pirates jailed for 10 years in Yemen - Nov 20, 2011
- Afghan prisoner commits suicide in Guantanamo Bay - May 20, 2011
- Al Qaeda threatens to topple Saudi government - Aug 11, 2010
- Osama's ex-cook pleads guilty for supporting terrorism - Jul 08, 2010
- Al Qaeda guns down American in Yemen (Lead) - Mar 18, 2012
- Al Qaeda appeals to women to fight in Yemen - May 21, 2010
- Abducted Saudi diplomat asks king to meet Al Qaeda demands - May 26, 2012
- Yemen troops capture Al Qaeda stronghold - Jun 16, 2012
- U.S.-aided attack in Yemen thought to have killed al-Qaeda leaders - Dec 25, 2009
- US reiterates commitment to Guantanamo prison closure - Apr 26, 2011