Billion bets on ‘Slumdog Millionaire’ in IndiaFebruary 16th, 2009 - 12:05 pm ICT by IANS
New Delhi, Feb 16 (IANS) Will Danny Boyle’s “Slumdog Millionaire” strike gold at the Oscars? A whopping Rs.2 billion ($41 million) is said to be riding on that question, as bookies pitch for the rags-to-riches drama, setting off a new betting trend in India.
The Oscar awards ceremony is Feb 22, and the film set in India has 10 nominations. This includes three entries for music maestro A.R. Rahman’s background score and two songs. And they have all emerged as clear favourites with the bookies.
India has traditionally seen a lot of betting in sports, especially cricket.
“This is yet another new trend picking up in Indian betting circles. Probably this will be the first time when both bookies and punters in the country are placing bets on the Oscars,” a Mumbai-based bookie told IANS on condition of anonymity.
“Many of the punters who used to bet on cricket largely are now discussing ‘Slumdog Millionaire’s’ chances of winning. But the number of punters and bookies is still very less as people are not aware where to bet and how to bet,” said the bookie.
Rahman has been nominated for Best Original Score and his songs “Jai Ho” and “O Saaya” are also up for the Best Original Song for a motion picture.
“Punters are crazy about A.R. Rahman. The reason behind placing bets on Rahman could be his high status in the Indian entertainment industry. The Indian connection to the movie also makes it favourite among the punters,” said a punter.
According to some rough estimates provided by bookies, about Rs.2 billion is riding on “Slumdog Millionaire” in the Indian betting circles.
Last month the film won four Golden Globes and recently bagged seven British Academy of Film and Television Arts (BAFTA) awards. The BAFTA win has fuelled its Oscar chances.
While international websites began accepting bets on “Slumdog Millionaire” as soon as the Oscar nominations were announced, the Indian bookies reacted to it later.
The bookies say lack of knowledge about international films is also holding people back from placing bets on Oscars.
Outside India too huge money is riding on “Slumdog Millionaire” and its director.
On betting site Paddy Power, both the film and its director Danny Boyle have odds of 2/5 (0.4) to win the Best Picture and Best Director, respectively.
According to the famous US-based betting website betus.com, the money line for “Slumdog Millionaire” is 250. For Danny Boyle, it is 225. This is because both are hot favourites to win in their respective categories.
In the international bookies circuit, however, there are no bets for Rahman winning the Oscars as most of the bets are on the acting, best film and best director categories.
- Rahman loses BAFTA - Feb 14, 2011
- Rahman hopes 'DAM 999' brings back Oscar - Dec 21, 2011
- Rahman to rock Olympics with Punjabi beats! - Jun 30, 2012
- Rahman gets BAFTA nomination for '127 Hours' music - Jan 18, 2011
- 'Jai ho' Rahman at Golden Globe nominations again (Lead) - Dec 14, 2010
- India-born Tariq Anwar misses Oscar for best editing - Feb 28, 2011
- Rahman's 'If I Rise' nominated for WSA - Aug 25, 2011
- Rahman in Oscar run again with two nominations for '127 Hours' - Jan 25, 2011
- You get success, then a movie gets ripped off: A.R. Rahman (Interview) - Jan 22, 2011
- 'Slumdog Millionaire', 'Jai Ho' bag Grammy nominations - Dec 02, 2010
- Rahman to perform at Oscars again - Feb 05, 2011
- Rahman loses out at Oscars, Indians disappointed (Lead) - Feb 28, 2011
- Golden Globe nomination blessing beyond words: Rahman - Dec 15, 2010
- A R Rahman Waiting For '127 Hours'! - Jan 06, 2011
- 'Jai ho' fetches a bouquet of global awards for Rahman - Feb 01, 2010