Bill to put casinos out of bounds for GoansMarch 25th, 2011 - 7:58 pm ICT by IANS
Panaji, March 25 (IANS) Casinos may soon be out of bounds for Goans. The leader of opposition in the state assembly Friday moved a bill seeking to amend the Goa Public Gambling (Amendment) Bill 2011 which bans locals from entering the numerous onshore and offshore casinos in the state.
“Only those not residing within the state shall be allowed to enter the casinos for the purpose of gambling,” the bill moved by Bharatiya Janata Party (BJP) leader Manohar Parrikar states.
The bill also seeks to put a blanket ban on advertisements promoting casinos in the state in every media.
“No advertisements of casinos anywhere in the state in the print media, electronic media or by any other audio and visual means shall be allowed,” it states.
Backing his bill, while introducing it Friday, Parrikar said casinos were ruining the fabric of society in Goa and large number of youths were falling prey to the perilous charms of gambling.
“The number of resident Goans, including those below the age of 21, are frequently visiting casinos to gamble. This is destroying the social fabric of the state. This amendment will prevent locals, specially youth, from getting involved in gambling activities,” Parrikar said, adding that a ban on attractive ads promoting casinos would also help keep locals away from gambling centres.
Goa has over a dozen onshore casinos located in five-star resorts spread across the state, as well as seven offshore casinos onboard large boats. The casino industry has often in the past been in conflict with groups vowing to protect the cultural ethos and morality of the state.
- No gambling for Goans, says BJP - Mar 15, 2011
- Goans, under 21s, may be banned from Goa's casinos - Jul 05, 2012
- BJP budget blows hot and cold on Goa's offshore casinos - Mar 27, 2012
- Goa earned Rs.30 crore from casino entry fee - Aug 06, 2012
- Casino revenue could fund Goa's old age homes: Parrikar - Aug 08, 2012
- Women's group claims Goa government in cahoots with casinos - Aug 13, 2012
- BJP wants to deter locals from gambling - Mar 27, 2012
- Goa BJP waters down stance on offshore casinos - Feb 23, 2012
- Liquor curbs ahead of polls affecting Goa's casinos (Lead) - Jan 27, 2012
- Poll-eve curbs on liquor affecting Goa's casinos - Jan 27, 2012
- Goa casinos need regulatory authority: Casino operator - Nov 15, 2011
- Mining and casino-friendly Parrikar is like Chanakya: Congress - Aug 30, 2012
- Congress accuses BJP of 'U-turn' on casino, illegal mining - Aug 22, 2012
- Goa tourism minister accused of assaulting casino dealers - Jun 19, 2009
- Activists want Goa to emulate Russia's casino ban - Jul 04, 2009
Tags: advertisements, amendment bill, blanket ban, boats, casino industry, charms, electronic media, five star resorts, goa, janata party, leader of opposition, locals, march 25, morality, offshore casinos, onshore, panaji, prey, social fabric, state assembly