Bill Gates lauds India’s polio eradication driveJanuary 10th, 2012 - 6:51 pm ICT by IANS
New Delhi, Jan 10 (IANS) Praising India’s efforts to curb polio with not a single case reported last year, Microsoft co-founder Bill Gates advised countries around the world to learn from its success terming it as a huge milestone in global health.
“I’m optimistic that we can vanquish polio forever if other countries choose to learn from India’s success. Together, we can accomplish something amazing… This is a huge milestone in the history of global health,” wrote Gates on the Bill and Melinda Gates Foundation’s website Monday.
Gates wrote about his encounter with children suffering from polio when he visited the country four years back and how the country had not reported a single case since the last one year.
“Four years ago, I visited India and saw again what polio does to children… The following year, in 2009, India had more polio cases than any other country in the world. But much has changed since then,” said Gates.
“…This Friday will mark a full year since the last case of wild poliovirus was detected in India,” he added.
Gates said that it was a “remarkable achievement” keeping in mind a huge and growing population, hard-to-reach migrant communities, and sanitation and health conditions that limit the effectiveness of polio vaccines in the country.
“Twice a year, two million volunteers prepare 800,000 vaccination booths around the country - at schools, hospitals and community centres. They immunize more than 172 million children one by one,” said Gates.
“India’s story is proof that major health problems can be solved in the toughest places in the world. But the fight against polio is not over and we are at a critical moment in time,” he added.
- A year of no polio: India triumphs, but risks remains - Jan 11, 2012
- A year of no polio: India triumphs, but risks remains (Lead) - Jan 11, 2012
- Gates praises India for containing polio - May 31, 2012
- Hyderabad foundation gets $100,000 grant for polio vaccine - May 10, 2012
- Indian firm joins Nigeria's polio battle (With Images) - Feb 23, 2012
- Polio-free Southeast Asia within reach: WHO - Sep 05, 2012
- Global health award for Bihar chief minister - Jan 03, 2012
- Global polio eradication initiative may save $40-50bn - Nov 23, 2010
- Azad meets Bill, Melinda Gates - Mar 22, 2011
- President Patil launches 2011 'Pulse Polio' campaign - Jan 22, 2011
- Bill, Melinda Gates meet Health Minister Azad, discuss issues relating to polio vaccination - Mar 22, 2011
- Indian Olympic athletes appeal to root out polio - Aug 02, 2012
- US firm gets $220 mn Gates grant to combat TB - Mar 15, 2012
- 'Ensure regular vaccination to make India polio free' - Feb 23, 2012
- Bill Gates to visit India this week - Mar 21, 2011
Tags: bill and melinda gates, bill and melinda gates foundation, bill gates, community centres, critical moment, founder bill gates, global health, health conditions, lauds, major health, melinda gates foundation, migrant communities, moment in time, places in the world, polio, polio cases, polio eradication, polio vaccines, poliovirus, remarkable achievement