Bike thieves pay dearly for not wearing helmetsDecember 21st, 2010 - 11:32 pm ICT by IANS
New Delhi, Dec 21 (IANS) Delhi Traffic Police officers chased and booked two motorcycle riders in south Delhi Tuesday for not wearing helmets. However, the two men landed behind bars after police discovered that they were riding stolen bikes.The incident took place near Laxman Public School in south Delhi at 12.30 p.m. when traffic police officers were patrolling the area and asked the two motorcyclists to stop.
“The two offenders did not bother to stop, prompting the traffic police personnel to chase them. Hearing the sirens, two civilians also joined in the chase, and caught one biker,” a traffic police officer said.
According to Joint Commissioner of Police (Traffic) Satyendra Garg, the officers were not aware that the two bikes was stolen.
“They had just stolen the vehicles from the Safdurjung Hospital parking lot. The personnel did not know they were auto thieves,” he said.
Delhi Police Commissioner B.K. Gupta announced a cash reward of Rs.5,000 and a recommendation roll to the police personnel and the civilians.
- 86 rogue bikers penalised in Delhi - May 14, 2012
- Thief caught after jumping traffic signal in Delhi - May 28, 2012
- Women two-wheeler riders may have to wear helmets - Jul 04, 2011
- Police booth, bus set afire in Delhi (Lead) - Sep 02, 2012
- Delhi's night riders stop-question-check, nab 90 criminals - Apr 20, 2011
- Delhi traffic cops' powers curbed - Jun 11, 2011
- Flipside of Anna's movement: Traffic violations galore - Aug 24, 2011
- 15 booked for using red beacons on vehicles - Jan 06, 2011
- Six people killed in accidents on Holi (Lead) - Mar 09, 2012
- On Delhi roads, tempers rise with temperatures - Apr 06, 2012
- 777 people fined for drunk driving - Mar 08, 2012
- Kirti Azad mans Delhi traffic, more ex-crickters to follow - Mar 21, 2011
- Police, army trade charges over Pune fracas (Lead) - Feb 01, 2012
- 8,000 fined for Holi traffic violations - Mar 21, 2011
- One for the road gets 388 challaned on New Year Eve - Jan 01, 2011
Tags: auto thieves, bike thieves, bikes, cash reward, civilians, commissioner of police, delhi police, helmets, k gupta, motorcycle riders, motorcyclists, New Delhi, parking lot, police commissioner, police officer, police officers, police traffic, sirens, south delhi, traffic police