Bihar’s mystery disease is acute encephalitis syndrome: ministerJune 12th, 2012 - 2:41 pm ICT by IANS
Patna, June 12 (IANS) The mysterious disease that has killed more than 100 children across three districts of Bihar in the past fortnight has been identified as acute encephalitis syndrome (AES), the government has confirmed and sounded a red alert to tackle the crisis.
“The disease has been identified as AES but it is treatable,” Health Minister Ashwani Kumar Choubey told IANS after 109 children died in Muzaffarpur, Gaya and Patna districts.
Till Sunday, Choubey and top health officials had been denying that the deaths, which had caused the opposition to raise the issue in a big way, was due to encephalitis.
According to the latest estimates by officials, 57 children have died in Muzaffarpur, 10 in Gaya and 42 in Patna.
Choubey said the state government expected the central government to help check and control the disease.
Last year, encephalitis, a mosquito-borne disease, claimed nearly 150 lives in Muzaffarpur and Gaya districts.
- Bihar to give Rs 50,000 for encephalitis victims - Jun 13, 2012
- Encephalitis claims five more lives in Bihar, toll 230 - Jun 24, 2012
- Encephalitis kills 7 more in Bihar, death toll 150 (Lead) - Jun 15, 2012
- 73 kids die of 'mysterious' disease in Bihar - Jun 08, 2012
- Encephalitis claims 9 more lives in Bihar, toll now 159 - Jun 16, 2012
- Encephalitis kills four more in Bihar, toll 204 - Jun 19, 2012
- Killer disease is not Japanese encephalitis - Jun 28, 2012
- Declare killer disease an epidemic, says Bihar - Jun 11, 2012
- Bihar seeks central help on mysterious disease - Jun 09, 2012
- Encephalitis kills 4 more in Bihar, toll mounts to 147 - Jun 15, 2012
- Bihar, Uttar Pradesh battle to contain deadly encephalitis outbreak (Roundup) - Jun 16, 2012
- Mysterious disease toll is 36 in Bihar - Jun 07, 2012
- Mysterious disease toll is 31 in Bihar - Jun 06, 2012
- Four more kids die of suspected encephalitis in Bihar - Jun 05, 2012
- Suspected brain disease kills 51 kids in Bihar - Oct 01, 2011
Tags: acute encephalitis, aes, bihar, central government, deaths, estimates, fortnight, gaya, health minister, health officials, mosquito, mosquito borne disease, mysterious disease, mystery disease, opposition, patna, red alert, state government, top health