Bihar teacher beaten to death for dowryMarch 21st, 2012 - 1:46 pm ICT by IANS
Patna, March 21 (IANS) A school teacher in Bihar was allegedly beaten to death by her husband and parents-in-law who attacked her with sticks for not bringing in enough dowry, police said Wednesday.
Nuzhat Parween, 25, who taught at Nisha middle school in Katihar district, about 170 km from here, was killed Tuesday, police said.
The harassment over dowry began soon after she got married two years ago.
“Her husband was reportedly demanding more dowry and wanted to grab her monthly salary, which she refused,” a police officer said.
The three accused are absconding. In Bihar, dowry is as common amongst caste-ridden Muslims as it is in the Hindu community.
In the last one year, there have been over three dozen dowry cases lodged by newly married Muslim women. And this could be just the tip of the iceberg as most dowry cases remain unreported.
- Goa police officer booked for dowry harassment - Mar 24, 2012
- Dowry death: Victim's mother-in-law told to surrender - Jun 20, 2012
- Dumb woman killed, body chopped in Bihar - Apr 17, 2012
- Married woman commits suicide, in-laws booked - Jan 28, 2012
- Woman sets herself ablaze over dowry harassment - Jun 25, 2011
- CRPF trooper's wife found dead, dowry case filed - May 25, 2012
- Dowry death: Victim's brothers-in-law get anticipatory bail - Jun 22, 2012
- Pilot's wife commits suicide, police suspect dowry death - Feb 19, 2012
- IT executive arrested for abetting wife's suicide - Jun 06, 2011
- Bail plea of man held for wife's death rejected - Apr 11, 2011
- Chiranjeevi's son-in-law booked for dowry harassment - Mar 15, 2011
- Dowry death: Four booked in Punjab - Jul 01, 2011
- Pilot arrested after wife hangs herself to death - Dec 02, 2011
- Family shocked at Bihar engineer's arrest on terror charges - May 21, 2012
- Woman jumps from Metro station, dies (Second Lead) - May 03, 2012