Bihar seeks bail cancellation of 101 criminalsJuly 6th, 2012 - 2:29 pm ICT by IANS
Patna, July 6 (IANS) In a bid to check increasing crime, the Bihar government has sought cancellation of bail to 101 criminals, including politicians and gangsters convicted for murder, kidnapping, extortion and loot, police said Friday.
The state government moved to the Patna High Court, seeking bail cancellation of 101 criminals - among them former lawmaker Mohammad Shahabuddin, and notorious gangsters Awadesh Mandal, Kundal Singh, Omkarnath Singh and Ram Charitra Yadav.
Former Rashtriya Janata Dal (RJD) MP Shahabuddin is currently lodged in Siwan prison, while Mandal, husband of ruling Janata Dal-United (JD-U) legislator Bima Bharti, is lodged in Purnia jail.
Counter-affidavits had been filed seeking bail cancellation of all of them, who were professional criminals and were involved in fresh cases even after coming out on bail, Bihar Police chief Abhyanand said.
“In view of this, the government sought cancellation of their bail,” he said.
More than 70,000 criminals, including politicians and lawmakers, have been convicted and punished in Bihar, thanks to fast track trials, a senior police official said.
- Woman legislator in hospital after husband's thrashing - Dec 17, 2010
- Three get life term for former JNU student leader's murder - Mar 23, 2012
- Jailed criminal from Nitish's camp wins - Nov 24, 2010
- Nearly 60,000, including MPs and MLAs, convicted in Bihar in 5 years - Apr 11, 2011
- Campaign ends for first phase of Bihar polls - Oct 19, 2010
- For Bihar women candidates, husband's muscle power could backfire - Oct 19, 2010
- Mobile phones seized from former MP in jail - Oct 22, 2010
- Nitish battles for supremacy in Round one (Bihar Curtainraiser - Phase 1) - Oct 19, 2010
- Bihar to confiscate property of criminals - Sep 02, 2012
- Jailed Bihar politician to be awarded Ph.D - Jul 07, 2012
- Bihar ready for round one of elections - Oct 20, 2010
- Over 50,000 criminals convicted in Nitish-era Bihar - Sep 23, 2010
- Mobile phones seized from former RJD MP Shahabuddin in Siwan jail - Oct 22, 2010
- Bihar takes on crime with high conviction rate - Jun 08, 2010
- Ex-MP Shahabuddin's aide arrested - Oct 09, 2011
Tags: , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , ,