Bihar rights panel asks police chief to explain lathichargeSeptember 15th, 2011 - 7:15 pm ICT by IANS
Patna, Sep 15 (IANS) The Bihar Human Rights Commission Thursday issued notice to state police chief Abhyanand over the lathicharge on villagers in Nalanda district, officials said.
A day after Wednesday’s lathicharge in Noorsarai district, in which several women were injured, BHRC chairman S.N. Jha issued notice to Abhyanand and asked him to report within three days.
A BHRC official said the commission took the incident seriously.
Nearly 18 people were injured when the police lathicharged a mob that alleged Chandasi panchayat secretary Reena Devi had been killed by her in-laws Aug 24. Demanding the arrest of the in-laws, the mob indulged in stone-throwing and arson.
Reena Devi has been reported missing since Aug 24.
The lathicharge took place in the presence of Deputy Inspector General of Police Vineet Vinayak and Superintendent of Police Jitendra Rana.
Bihar Chief Minister Nitish Kumar, whose home district is Nalanda, has ordered a probe into the incident and called for an immediate suspension of the policemen involved.
“Legal action must be taken against those found guilty,” he said. The chief minister asked the state’s director general of police to view TV footage and take legal action.
Nalanda police chief Jitendra Rana suspended constable Vibhuti Jha and home guard Nageshwar Pandey for the assault on women.
- Rights panels urged to probe Bihar police assault on women - Sep 17, 2011
- Entire police station staff shifted after baton-charge - Sep 16, 2011
- Bihar panchayat poll candidate's husband murdered - Apr 25, 2011
- Bihar gets its first all-women police station - Jan 23, 2012
- Two held for assaulting foreigners in Bihar - Sep 22, 2011
- RJD to protest attacks on backward castes - Sep 10, 2011
- At 75, she wants her dowry back - Jun 03, 2011
- Woman forced to eat human excreta on witchcraft charge - Apr 28, 2012
- Three troopers arrested in Bihar - May 27, 2012
- Bihar rights panel helps NRI abused by IPS - Jun 17, 2011
- Bihar woman lynched for practicing 'witchcraft' - Aug 01, 2012
- Nine French tourists detained in Bihar - Apr 22, 2012
- Man held with ammunition outside Nitish meeting in Bihar - Jul 09, 2012
- Maoists kill CRPF trooper in Bihar - Sep 09, 2012
- 26 police officials sacked for corruption - Mar 17, 2012
Tags: arson, bhrc, chief minister, constable, deputy inspector general, director general, district officials, human rights commission, jha, jitendra, nitish kumar, patna, policemen, rana, reena, state police, tv footage, vibhuti, vinayak, vineet