Bihar policemen’s union demands ‘concrete plan’ to fight MaoistsFebruary 11th, 2009 - 6:08 pm ICT by IANS
Patna, Feb 11 (IANS) Two days after 10 policemen were killed in an ambush by suspected Maoists in a remote Bihar village, a Bihar policemen’s union Wednesday has called for a “concrete action plan” to fight the rebels.
“The police headquarters has failed to chalk out a concrete action plan till date despite the fact that dozens of policemen are being killed every year,” Bihar Policemen’s Association general secretary Jitendra Narayan Singh said here.
Ten policemen were killed Monday when an 18-member police party, led by the officer in charge of the Kauwa Kol police station Rameshwar Ram, were ambushed by the Maoists in Nawada district’s Mahulitand village close to the Bihar-Jharkhand border.
“The killing of 10 policemen was a result of administrative failure. The policemen are an easy target for Maoists,” Singh said.
In a meeting of the association to pay tributes to the policemen killed, Singh said senior police officers were hardly serious over chalking out a detailed strategy to contain the Maoist violence.
“It has become a ritual to pay tributes and announce ex-gratia, then one forgets everything,” he said.
The association demanded that the responsibility of the Indian Police Service officers be fixed zone wise to curb the Maoist violence in the state.
The union leaders also expressed their unhappiness over deployment of inadequate force at the police stations and police pickets in Maoist-affected districts.
- Maoists torch vehicles, blast mobile tower in Bihar - Mar 15, 2011
- Maoist accused of killing 10 cops held in Bihar - Dec 02, 2009
- At least 11 policemen killed by Maoists in Bihar - Feb 09, 2009
- 10 policemen killed in Maoist attack in Bihar (Lead) - Feb 09, 2009
- Security up in Bihar after Maoists kill six policemen - Oct 23, 2010
- Kanpur cop dies after being shot inside police station (Lead) - Mar 30, 2012
- Maoists blast tracks, torch vehicles, in Jharkhand - Dec 04, 2011
- BSP candidate held for killing of 10 policemen (Lead) - Mar 25, 2009
- Maoist leader arrested in UP - May 29, 2012
- Bihar Hostage Crisis: Two Maoists taken into custody - Sep 04, 2010
- After attack, Chhattisgarh hunts for Maoists - Oct 22, 2011
- Bihar on alert after Maoist leader Kishanji's killing - Nov 24, 2011
- 13 Jharkhand policemen killed in Maoist ambush - Jan 21, 2012
- Five killed in Meghalaya ambush - Nov 01, 2011
- Bihar fears revenge attack after Ranvir Sena chief's killing - Jun 07, 2012