Bihar MP sentenced to life for murderJune 25th, 2008 - 5:51 pm ICT by IANS
Patna, June 25 (IANS) A Bihar court Wednesday sentenced Lok Janshakti Party (LJP) MP Surajbhan Singh to life imprisonment in a sixteen-year-old murder case. Amid tight security, the Begusarai fast track court judge Ravi Prakash Dhar Dubey awarded life imprisonment to three people, including LJP MP Surajbhan Singh, a day after they were convicted by the court for farmer Rami Singh’s murder in 1992, official sources in the court said.
The court also pronounced a fine of Rs.25,000 on each of them.
Surajbhan Singh was found guilty under sections 302, 149 of the Indian Penal Code and the Arms Act for the murder of Rami Singh, a farmer, Jan 16, 1992.
His lawyer said that Surajbhan Singh will appeal against it.
Surajbhan Singh represents Bihar’s Ballia constituency in parliament and is considered close to Union Minister of Steel and LJP chief Ram Vilas Paswan.
Hundreds of people, mostly supporters of Surajbhan Singh, gathered outside the court since early afternoon to hear the court’s verdict.
Rami Singh, a resident of Mathurapur village in Begusarai district, about 126 km from here, was shot Jan 16, 1992 allegedly by Surajbhan Singh and his henchmen, according to the police complaint in the case.
Soon after the court found him guilty in the murder case, the police took him into custody. He will be lodged in the Begusarai jail.
Surajbhan Singh faces 30 criminal charges, including those of murder, extortion, kidnapping and looting.
Last year, he was named accused in the murder of additional public prosecutor Ramnaresh Sharma, 55.
Sharma, a human rights activist, was shot by two unidentified people at his residence in Begusarai.
- Bihar MP Surajbhan Singh convicted for murder - Jun 24, 2008
- Lawmaker's petition dismissed in Patna - Nov 28, 2008
- Murder witness shot dead in Bihar - May 11, 2009
- LJP MP booked for murder in Bihar - May 12, 2009
- Bihar MP gets bail in murder case, can vote now - Jul 16, 2008
- Godman helps convicted MP to get 'rid of evils' - Mar 02, 2009
- LJP MP Surajbhan, two others get life imprisonment for farmers murder - Jun 25, 2008
- Eight get life term for former Bihar minister's murder (Lead) - Aug 12, 2009
- Two jailed UPA MPs to vote in trust motion (Roundup) - Jul 16, 2008
- Lok Janshakti Party MP Surajbhan questioned in murder case - Apr 08, 2009
- Slain Bihar minister's widow seeks death penalty for killers - Aug 13, 2009
- Ex-MP Surajbhan Singh, 8 others get life in Brij Bihari murder case - Aug 12, 2009
- Jailed Bihar politician to be awarded Ph.D - Jul 07, 2012
- Four criminal-politicians out of election fray, thanks to courts - Apr 07, 2009
- Bihar has dozens of candidates facing serious criminal charges - Apr 16, 2009