Bihar MP gets bail in murder case, can vote nowJuly 16th, 2008 - 4:47 pm ICT by IANS
Patna, July 16 (IANS) The Patna High Court Wednesday granted bail to Lok Janshakti Party (LJP) MP Surajbhan Singh, who has appealed his conviction for murder. The ruling alliance MP will now be able to vote in the crucial trust motion in parliament next Tuesday. A division bench of the Patna High Court granted bail to Surajbhan Singh after hearing a petition filed by him that challenged his conviction by a Begusarai court last month for the murder of a farmer over 16 years ago, official sources in the court said.
Surajbhan Singh was in jail after the Begusarai court sentenced him to life imprisonment.
“The High Court has now given him bail on the plea that no evidence of the MP’s direct involvement in the murder exists,” said Rana Pratap Singh, the MP’s lawyer.
Surajbhan Singh represents Bihar’s Ballia constituency in parliament and is considered close to Minister of Steel and LJP chief Ram Vilas Paswan.
Singh’s vote will be important for the United Progressive Alliance that is ruling at the centre, and striving to reach the halfway mark in the 545-seat Lok Sabha during the trust motion next Tuesday.
Last month Begusarai fast track court judge Ravi Prakash Dhar Dubey jailed three people including Surajbhan Singh for life, a day after they were convicted for farmer Rami Singh’s murder Jan 16, 1992.
Early this month Singh appealed to the high court against his conviction. The MP faces 30 criminal charges, including those of murder, extortion, kidnapping and looting.
- Lawmaker's petition dismissed in Patna - Nov 28, 2008
- LJP MP booked for murder in Bihar - May 12, 2009
- Two jailed UPA MPs to vote in trust motion (Roundup) - Jul 16, 2008
- Cash-for-votes: Bail for Kulkarni, five others (Second Lead) - Nov 16, 2011
- Murder witness shot dead in Bihar - May 11, 2009
- Cash-for-votes: Order on bail plea of five accused Nov 16 (Lead) - Nov 14, 2011
- Cash-for-votes: Bail for Kulkarni, five others - Nov 16, 2011
- Cash-for-votes: Kulkarni, four others walk out of Tihar (Lead) - Nov 17, 2011
- Bihar MP sentenced to life for murder - Jun 25, 2008
- Godman helps convicted MP to get 'rid of evils' - Mar 02, 2009
- Police response sought on bail plea of Amar Singh's ex-aide (Lead) - Nov 09, 2011
- Bihar MP Surajbhan Singh convicted for murder - Jun 24, 2008
- Cash-for-votes: Kulkarni, two BJP former MPs walk out of Tihar - Nov 17, 2011
- Cash-for-votes: BJP feliciates Kulkarni, other accused - Nov 19, 2011
- Expose beneficiaries of cash-for-vote: Kulkarni - Nov 18, 2011