Bihar legislator calls Muslim colleague ‘Pakistani’ in assemblyFebruary 25th, 2009 - 9:13 pm ICT by IANS
Patna, Feb 25 (IANS) The Bihar assembly Wednesday witnessed unruly scenes after a ruling party legislator called an opposition Muslim legislator a “Pakistani”.
Bharatiya Janata Party (BJP) legislator Ramadhar Singh made the comment against Rashtriya Janata Dal (RJD) legislator Shakeel Ahmad Khan during a discussion after the state budget was presented.
The incident occurred when some RJD Legislators, including Khan, made a remark about L.K. Advani, BJP’s prime ministerial candidate.
“Singh then told Khan that he had no right to say anything because he is a Pakistani,” RJD legislator Shyam Rajak told IANS.
Soon after the comment was made RJD legislators, along with other opposition members, rushed to the well of the house demanding an apology and action against Singh.
Furious RJD legislators said Singh’s remarks had again exposed the “communal politics of BJP”.
Khan, a former minister and now spokesperson of RJD, is considered close to Railways Minister Lalu Prasad and is a known as critic of Chief Minister Nitish Kumar-led coalition government in the state.
Speaker Uday Narayan Choudhary has called for an all-party meet over the incident.
It is not the first time that Singh’s remarks have created furore in the assembly. In 2005, he called former chief minister Rabri Devi as “little educated Rabri’.
- BJP legislator calls RJD colleague 'Pakistani' (Lead) - Feb 25, 2009
- 17 opposition legislators suspended in Bihar - Jul 21, 2010
- Lalu dares Nitish, Modi to contest against Rabri - Oct 05, 2010
- Bihar assembly committee to probe 'health scam' - Aug 09, 2012
- Bihar politicians slam Uddhav Thackeray - Sep 04, 2012
- Paswan, Rudy make it to Rajya Sabha from Bihar (Second Lead) - Jun 17, 2010
- 67 legislators suspended in Bihar (Second Lead) - Jul 21, 2010
- 16 legislators suspended from Bihar assembly (Lead) - Jul 21, 2010
- Cross voting in Bihar Rajya Sabha polls (Lead) - Jun 17, 2010
- Notable winners and losers in Bihar - Nov 24, 2010
- Congress demands dismissal of Nitish Kumar government - Jul 23, 2010
- 19 years after Babri speech, legislator sent to jail (Lead) - May 26, 2011
- Rabri Devi files papers for Raghopur, Sonepur seats (Lead) - Oct 09, 2010
- Over 100 former Bihar legislators to vacate bungalows - Dec 15, 2010
- Rivals in Bihar polls worried ahead of Ayodhya verdict - Sep 29, 2010