Bihar invites tenders to seal breaches in Kosi riverOctober 11th, 2008 - 7:26 pm ICT by IANS
Patna, Oct 11 (IANS) After a hue and cry over the delay of work in sealing the breaches in the Kosi river, the Bihar government Saturday invited tenders for the work.The move comes a day after Rs.1.97 billion were approved for sealing the breaches in the flooded river, which claimed 50 lives and affected over three million people in Bihar last month.
Radhakrishna Choudhary, joint cabinet secretary, said the government would allot a tender on an urgent basis within a week to start the work, which would be completed by March 31 next year.
Choudhary said the work of sealing the breaches includes diversion of the main channel of the Kosi river, which is flowing through the breaches currently. The diversion channel will take the river back to its old course.
Recent flooding in the state was caused due to a breach in the Kosi embankment in Kusaha in Nepal that changed the course of the river.
More than three million people in over 1,000 village in Saharsa, Madhepura, Supaul, Araria and Purnea districts were rendered homeless and over one million cattle affected by the floods.
About 989,000 people were evacuated to safer places and over 350,000 people have taken shelter in over 300 relief camps in flood-affected areas, according to officials.
Experts had warned the delay could lead to further flooding in the state during the next monsoon.
An official associated with Kosi Breach Closure Advisory Team (KBCAT) had warned the state government that if the work to seal the breach in the Kosi was delayed millions of people will face devastating floods next monsoon.
Officials admitted that earlier delay in the work to plug the breach was reportedly caused due to differences between the state and central governments.
In September, the state government wrote to the central government for a decision on plugging the breach at the earliest and completion of the work before March 2009.
- Delay in sealing of breach in Kosi could lead to devastation next year - Oct 05, 2008
- More embankments to control floods in Bihar - Jul 05, 2011
- Over half a million hit by Bihar floods - Jul 06, 2011
- Bihar flood situation grim as all rivers rise - Jul 07, 2011
- Rising Kosi floods dozens of Bihar villages - Jul 05, 2012
- Four years later, Kosi flood victims fight for survival - Aug 20, 2012
- Bihar floods worsen, over 100 villages inundated - Jul 04, 2011
- Fear of floods back in Bihar - Jul 01, 2011
- Nearly 100 Bihar villages flooded, rivers rising - Jul 02, 2011
- Flood waters enter over 1,000 Bihar villages - Aug 20, 2011
- 1.5 million affected in Bihar floods - Aug 22, 2011
- Flood deaths rise to 15 in Nepal - Jul 02, 2011
- 'In Bihar, floods are a man-made menace' - Aug 25, 2011
- Nepal on vigil as rains lash 'Bihar's sorrow' Kosi - Jun 30, 2011
- Floods render thousands homeless in Bihar - Aug 21, 2011