Bihar custody death triggers protestsJanuary 15th, 2012 - 10:16 pm ICT by IANS
Patna, Jan 15 (IANS) Hundreds of people blocked roads and set vehicles ablaze in Bihar’s Newada town Sunday after a man died in police custody, officials said.
Manoj Yadav, in his mid 20s, died while he was in custody in Newada, some 150 km from here. However, police allegedly threw his body in a field.
Soon after Yadav’s body was found by some locals, the news spread like wildfire and hundreds of angry people gathered outside the police station, attacked police vehicles, pelted stones at the district magistrate’s residence and set ablaze vehicles in protest.
“Hundreds of people took to the streets following Yadav’s death in custody. They attacked police vehicles and blocked roads,” a police officer said.
Police fired in the air to disperse the mob. Authorities have banned the assembly of five or more people.
According to police, Yadav had been held on suspicion of involvement in a murder case four days ago and was taken to the police station for interrogation.
“During interrogation, police badly beat him up and tortured him,” a family member alleged, adding that Yadav was innocent.
- Mob attacks, torches police station in Bihar - Oct 15, 2011
- Man dies in police custody, protestors allege torture - Sep 16, 2011
- Four injured as villagers clash with police - Feb 20, 2012
- Workers kill company official in Yanam (Lead) - Jan 27, 2012
- Violence rocks Yanam, workers kill company official (Second Lead) - Jan 27, 2012
- Three died in mob violence in Guwahati (Lead) - Jun 22, 2011
- 20 injured as mob goes on rampage in Assam city - Jun 22, 2011
- Mob sets police booth, many vehicles afire in Delhi (Second Lead) - Sep 03, 2012
- Five injured in police firing in Bihar - Feb 22, 2011
- Violence in Uttar Pradesh after youth's death - Feb 22, 2011
- Fresh violence in Assam, curfew imposed - Aug 16, 2012
- Six injured as villagers clash with police - Mar 05, 2012
- Three workers injured in police firing in Yanam - Jan 27, 2012
- Enraged workers in Gurgaon indulge in vandalism, arson - Mar 23, 2012
- Protests in Kerala over petrol price rise - Sep 16, 2011
Tags: authorities, custody death, death in custody, district magistrate, family member, interrogation, locals, mid 20s, mob, murder case, police custody, police officer, police station, police vehicles, protest, protests, suspicion, wildfire, yadav