Bihar court acquits 11 Nepali Maoist leadersFebruary 3rd, 2012 - 6:07 pm ICT by IANS
Patna, Feb 3 (IANS) A Bihar court Friday acquitted 11 Nepali Maoist leaders, including a former minister and six MPs, on a state government petition seeking to withdraw criminal cases against them.
The government Wednesday filed a petition in the court of additional district judge in Patna for the withdrawal of cases against the arrested Nepali Maoists, government lawyer Jai Prakash Singh said.
The state government initiated the move to withdraw the criminal cases following a request by the central home ministry, he added.
According to police officials here, on May 2, 2004, a special team led by then Patna Senior Superintendent of Police N.H. Khan arrested 11 Maoist leaders, including two party politburo members, from five hotels in Patna for their alleged involvement in anti-India activities.
Soon after, a criminal case was lodged with Gandhi Maidan police station and they were sent to judicial custody in Beur jail in Patna and later to the Buxar jail.
The Patna High Court granted them bail on June 16, 2006. Released June 22, 2006, they returned to Nepal where they now occupy key positions.
- Bihar court seeks arrest of 11 Nepali Maoist leaders - Sep 15, 2011
- Bihar axes cases against 11 Nepal Maoists - Feb 02, 2012
- Indian court sentencing Nepal's Maoists causes ripples - Sep 12, 2011
- Scrap court verdict against Nepal Maoists, Bhattarai tells India - Sep 13, 2011
- Bihar jail to auction 500 mobile phones - Jun 11, 2012
- Mobile phones seized in Bihar jail - Jun 23, 2011
- Court issues notice to Rajasthan BJP legislator - Jul 05, 2012
- Bihar to computerise jails - Jun 28, 2012
- Police station chief arrested in Bihar for custodial death - Jun 16, 2012
- I am not a Maoist, says Mumbai man on bail - Jan 11, 2012
- Jailor shot at, escapes unhurt - Jul 27, 2012
- Former Bihar MP Pappu Yadav arrested, taken to Patna (Second Lead) - Aug 17, 2010
- SC admits plea against acquittal in Bihar massacre (Lead) - Jul 16, 2012
- Maoist leader's wife freed from jail (Lead) - Apr 10, 2012
- Bihar legislator's murder: Graver charges against teacher - Aug 09, 2011
Tags: criminal case, district judge, gandhi, government lawyer, government petition, home ministry, hotels in patna, india activities, jai, judicial custody, maidan, maoist, maoists, mps, patna high court, police officials, police station, politburo, prakash, state government