Bihar cold wave death toll rises to 24December 19th, 2008 - 5:53 pm ICT by IANS
Patna, Dec 19 (IANS) At least six more people died in Bihar as the temperature dipped drastically in the last few days, officials said Friday. The death toll in the state this winter has now risen to 24.Of the six deaths reported since Thursday, three were in East Champaran district, two in Vaishali district and one in Sheohar district.
In the state capital here, a dense fog Friday morning was followed by a cloudy sky and chilly winds.
The weather has affected the schedule of several trains and flights.
Weather department officials said Bihar would witness cold wave conditions in the coming days and the minimum temperature is likely to drop below 10 degrees Celsius.
Taking into account the weather conditions, Bihar public school and children welfare association have urged the district administrations to reschedule school hours. Most English medium schools are closing for winter vacation Saturday.
Chief Minister Nitish Kumar has asked district officials to light more bonfires and distribute blankets among the poor.
Many poor people, mostly rickshaw pullers, labourers and beggars, spend the nights under the open sky.
The 18 deaths reported earlier were in Muzaffarpur, Chapra, Madhubani, Begusarai, Gaya Patna and Darbhanga districts.
- Road accidents spiral in Bihar, kill 1,500 - May 04, 2012
- Cold wave kills 18 in Bihar - Dec 18, 2008
- Bihar to involve youths to fight kala azar - Apr 10, 2012
- Bhojpuri songs to spread awareness about kala azar - May 09, 2012
- Kala azar now part of Bihar school text book - Aug 02, 2011
- Maoists release kidnapped Bihar government officer - Aug 31, 2010
- Bihar hikes financial help for kala azar patients - Apr 24, 2012
- Cold wave kills 21 in Bihar, schools shut - Jan 05, 2010
- Cold wave claims 22 lives in Bihar - Jan 04, 2009
- Maoists hoist black flags in Bihar - Aug 15, 2012
- Encephalitis kills 7 more in Bihar, death toll 150 (Lead) - Jun 15, 2012
- Encephalitis kills 4 more in Bihar, toll mounts to 147 - Jun 15, 2012
- Encephalitis kills four more in Bihar, toll 204 - Jun 19, 2012
- Five die during Holi in Bihar - Mar 21, 2011
- After polio, Bihar targets kala azar - Jan 30, 2012