Bihar Chief Minister starts his Development MarchJanuary 19th, 2009 - 3:44 pm ICT by IANS
Patna, Jan 19 (IANS) Bihar Chief Minister Nitish Kumar Monday began his ‘Vikas Yatra’ (Development March), aimed at getting first-hand information about development works initiated by the state government in rural areas and to hear people’s grievances personally.Kumar will also camp overnight in villages across the state to provide an opportunity to villagers to tell him their grievances and monitor implementation of different schemes.
The chief minister launched his march from Bagaha in West Champaran district, a significant venue as it was the same district where Mahatma Gandhi had launched his first civil disobedience movement in India against British rule.
Kumar will camp in villages, every 25 to 30 km and spend hours to meet villagers before reviewing development schemes with officials.
“I will spend nights in villages to get the real picture of development and will know the problems of people,” Kumar said here, before leaving for Champaran.
Sources in the chief minister’s office told IANS that the first phase of the Yatra will continue till February and will resume after general elections are over.
A team of officials will accompany Kumar to assist in passing instructions and report on implementation of development projects.
However, the timing of Kumar’s development march has attracted criticism from the opposition. The opposition Rashtriya Janata Dal (RJD) and Congress described the venture as a ‘nautanki’ (drama), and criticized Kumar for spending millions of rupees on it.
However, Kumar has denied that the Vikas Yatra has anything to do with the coming elections, and said it was directly related to governance.
- Nitish Kumar starts march to gain people's confidence - Apr 29, 2010
- Ahead of Lok Sabha polls, it is yatra time in Bihar - Jan 25, 2009
- Bihar chief minister to camp in villages - Jan 02, 2009
- Nitish Kumar demands special category status for Bihar - Sep 19, 2012
- Lalu to march to Bihar's villages 'to expose' Nitish - May 14, 2012
- Tripura to ask CBI to probe Aadhaar fund utilisation - Mar 01, 2012
- Bihar polls: Test of governance, rule of law in phase three - Oct 27, 2010
- Nitish Kumar faces protest by Bihar rural representatives - Sep 13, 2012
- Nitish Kumar to hold cabinet meeting in village - Feb 09, 2009
- Jammu and Kashmir cabinet meets in remote LoC village - Sep 12, 2012
- Nitish development claims non-existent: CPI-ML - Apr 29, 2012
- Nitish shown black flags by parateachers - Apr 23, 2012
- Narendra Modi kickstarts poll campaign in Gujarat - Sep 11, 2012
- Development will help fight Maoist menace: Arjun Munda (Interview) - Jan 24, 2012
- Poll panel should organise debates between leaders: Advani - Oct 29, 2010