Bihar begins move to renovate Rajendra Prasad’s memorialJanuary 11th, 2010 - 2:41 pm ICT by IANS
Patna, Jan 11 (IANS) After being neglected for decades, the memorial of India’s first president Rajendra Prasad here is finally set for a makeover on the lines of Rajghat — Mahatma Gandhi’s memorial in New Delhi.
Officials at the chief minister’s office Monday said that government has decided to spend Rs.2.5 crore in the first phase for the development and beautification of Prasad’s memorial this year.
Bihar Chief Minister Nitish Kumar had announced last year that the memorial would be developed jointly by the state and central governments on the lines of Rajghat.
The state department of art, culture, youth affairs and tourism has prepared a detailed project report to develop the memorial situated on the banks of river Ganga where Prasad was cremated in 1963.
The memorial in the heart of Patna is in a shambles. Renovation work started three years ago, but it still serves as a den for criminals and drug addicts at night.
Prasad’s memorial is by and large forgotten, barring two days a year — his birth anniversary on Dec 3 and death anniversary on Feb 28 when the governor, chief minister and top officials come calling.
Prasad was born in 1884 at Zeradei in Bihar’s Siwan district. After serving for 12 years as India’s first president — from 1950 to 1962 — he retired and was subsequently awarded the Bharat Ratna, the nation’s highest civilian honour. He spent the last days of his life at the Sadaqat Ashram in Patna. Prasad died in 1963.
- Rajendra Prasad's memorial to be a tourist spot - Dec 05, 2010
- Coins in memory of Rajendra Prasad released - Feb 28, 2010
- Bihar moots Rajghat-style makeover for neglected Prasad memorial - Oct 23, 2009
- Rajendra Prasad memorial ready for makeover - Feb 20, 2010
- Theft of Rajendra Prasad's watch being probed - Jan 03, 2012
- Bank account of India's first president still active - Jul 04, 2012
- Rs.1,813 in Rajendra Prasad's bank account (Lead) - Jul 04, 2012
- Bihar plans Rajendra Prasad's 125th birth anniversary - Jul 14, 2008
- This savings account is a national heritage - Dec 04, 2008
- At last, Rajendra Prasad's memorial to be spruced up - Mar 25, 2008
- Three RJD leaders quit, likely to join JD-U - Jul 16, 2012
- President to launch Bihar agriculture map - Jul 26, 2012
- Bihar leaders demand Bharat Ratna for Verghese Kurien - Sep 11, 2012
- Man held with ammunition outside Nitish meeting in Bihar - Jul 09, 2012
- Land gifted to Rajendra Prasad usurped by Congress? - Jun 24, 2010
Tags: ashram, beautification, bharat ratna, birth anniversary, central governments, chief minister, crore, death anniversary, detailed project, drug addicts, first president, mahatma gandhi, nitish kumar, patna, rajendra prasad, renovation work, river ganga, shambles, siwan, youth affairs