Bigger villain leads to a bigger hero: Karan MalhotraDecember 24th, 2011 - 4:13 pm ICT by IANS
Mumbai, Dec 24 (IANS) If Sanjay Dutt’s role as the villainous Kancha Cheena in Karan Johar’s “Agneepath” remake seems to overpower Hrithik Roshan’s portrayal as protagonist Vijay Dinanath Chauhan, it was done with a purpose, says director Karan Malhotra.
“The villain of the film is big because the achievement of the hero gets bigger in conquering him. It is as simple as that. To assume Kancha’s character is bigger and Vijay’s is weak or vice-versa would be inappropriate because when you will see the film, you will realise that the bigger the villain, the bigger the hero,” Malhotra said at the unveiling of the latest trailer of movie, here.
Sanjay, who sports a bald look, also seconds the view.
“If you look at ‘Batman’ or ‘Spiderman’, their villain is very powerful. There is a reason for that. It is because the hero ultimately becomes more powerful and he finishes the villain,” the 52-year-old actor said.
Meanwhile, producer-director Karan Johar says that unlike in the original “Agneepath”, the character of Vijay Dinanath Chauhan in this version is that of an underdog.
“The portrayal of Vijay Dinanath Chauhan is completely different from Amit-ji’s (Amitabh Bachchan) portrayal. He was not an underdog there. In this, the character is an underdog.”
“It’s important to understand that the character is being played by a younger boy. Vijay Dinanath Chauhan was portrayed by Amit-ji at a certain age in the film. So when an underdog uplifts and rises against this impactful, large, big and scary villain, that’s when you feel the triumph of the hero spirit,” said Johar, whose father, Yash Johar, produced the original film in 1990.
The new “Agneepath” will hit theatres Jan 26 next year. It also features Priyanka Chopra and Rishi Kapoor.
- Hrithik eager to show 'Agneepath' to Big B - Jan 17, 2012
- Twelve years on, 'Agneepath' returns in new avatar (IANS Preview) - Jan 24, 2012
- Sanjay Dutt revives Bollywood's larger-than-life villain - Jan 18, 2012
- 'Agneepath' will now release on Republic Day Jan 26 - Sep 16, 2011
- Record opening for 'Agneepath', earns Rs.25 crore - Jan 27, 2012
- 'Agneepath' second trailer will be out during Diwali: Karan - Sep 07, 2011
- 'Agneepath' overwhelms global box office, earns $3.2 mn - Feb 01, 2012
- 'Agneepath' is brilliant in its brutality (IANS Hindi Film Review) - Jan 27, 2012
- You can't stress me out: Priyanka (Movie Snippets) - Dec 29, 2011
- 'Agneepath' a tribute, not a remake: Karan Johar - Aug 30, 2011
- Sanjay's 'Agneepath' look revealed on 52nd birthday (With Images) - Jul 29, 2011
- Sanjay Dutt cuts down holiday for 'Bigg Boss 5' - Dec 27, 2011
- Eros to release 'Agneepath' globally - Dec 07, 2011
- Not trying to outdo anyone: Sanjay Dutt - Jan 23, 2012
- Hrithik, not Abhishek to star in 'Agneepath' remake - Jul 04, 2010
Tags: amitabh bachchan, certain age, cheena, dec 24, hero, hrithik roshan, ji, karan johar, malhotra, mumbai, portrayal, priyanka chopra, protagonist, rishi kapoor, sanjay dutt, underdog, unveiling, uplifts, villain, younger boy