Big turnout at Radha’s birth place in Uttar PradeshSeptember 7th, 2008 - 7:26 pm ICT by IANS
Barsana (Uttar Pradesh), Sep 7 (IANS) Thousands of devotees of Radha, Sri Krishna’s beloved, turned up at her birth place in Barsana, Uttar Pradesh, Sunday to celebrate herb birthday.The main celebrations were held at the Sreeji temple atop the hill overlooking the Braj landscape in Mathura district - the area where Lord Krishna is believed to have been born and spent his youth. Festivities started Saturday evening with singing and kirtans or devotional songs.
Radhashtmi like Janmashtmi is a big festival in Braj Mandal. In Vrindavan, the celebrations will be held Monday.
The Braj Foundation has decided to hold Radhashtmi celebrations in Lucknow later this week, as according to the organisers, Uttar Pradesh Chief Minister Mayawati has done a lot for Braj Mandal.
Last month the Uttar Pradesh government sanctioned projects worth Rs.2 billion for development of infrastructure in the Mathura-Vrindavan-Govardhan area.
Meanwhile, the annual Swami Haridas Music and Dance Mahotsava began Sunday evening at the Fogal Ashram. This is one of the main events in this region promoting classical singing and Bhakti Sangeet or devotional music.
The participants include Uma Sharma, Sufi Singer Hansraj Hans, Dhrupad singer Vinay Bharat Ram and Malini Awasthy.
- Braj turns yellow on Basant Panchami - Jan 28, 2012
- Devotees gather for 'Lath Mar' holi in Barsana - Mar 14, 2011
- Where Holi goes on for 50 days - Mar 07, 2012
- Holi revelry picks up momentum in Braj area (With Image) - Mar 15, 2011
- Akhilesh wants faster work on Agra international airport - Apr 19, 2012
- AFTER 1 )Krishna land now an urban disaster (Letter from Mathura) - Aug 12, 2012
- Braj haveli sangeet on verge of extinction - Feb 07, 2012
- Uttar Pradesh residents celebrate 'Laddoo Holi' - Mar 14, 2011
- A riot of colours in Vrindavan - Mar 08, 2012
- Flooded Yamuna brings on Janmashtami fervour in Braj - Sep 01, 2010
- Packed with pilgrims, Lord Krishna's land dances to Holi - Mar 01, 2010
- Joyous mood sweeps Braj bhoomi on Janmashtami - Sep 02, 2010
- Thousands throng Mathura for Janmashtami - Aug 10, 2012
- Save Yamuna campaign: March reaches Vrindavan - Apr 05, 2011
- Radhastami celebrations in Mathura - Sep 05, 2011