Bids invited for surface-to-air missileApril 25th, 2008 - 7:38 am ICT by admin
New Delhi, April 24 (IANS) The Indian defence ministry Thursday invited bids for purchasing the quick reaction surface-to-air missile (QRSAM) under a multi-billion project, an official said Thursday. “The RFPs (request for proposal) for the short-range missiles were issued yesterday (Wednesday),” the official told IANS.
The missiles can engage targets, like enemy planes, at the range of 2.5 km. Mainly the Indian Army will use the systems for air defence. While the number of missiles to be purchased was not clear, the purchase will roughly cost Rs.35 billion.
According to sources, delays in operationalising the surface-to-air Akash missile is the main reason behind the RFPs.
Earlier the Indian Air Force, following the delays, had brought the Israeli Spyder missile to plug gaps in its armoury.
Chief of Army Staff Gen. Deepak Kapoor in January this year had expressed dissatisfaction at the performance of the missiles.
“Some of our requirements are still to be met. Only after that will we try out the system,” Gen. Kapoor said of the army version of Akash, which the Defence Research and Development Organisation (DRDO) has taken 20 years to develop against a target of 12 years.
Besides Israeli Spyder, Russian Tor M1 9M330 is likely to be in the fray for the multi-billion project.
- Israeli defence chief coming to India - Dec 08, 2009
- Israeli defence delegation to visit India next week - Dec 03, 2009
- Israeli military delegation to visit India to strengthen ties (Lead) - Dec 03, 2009
- India test-fires medium range Akash missile - May 24, 2012
- Pakistan tests nuclear capable, short-range missile (Lead) - Apr 19, 2011
- Indian Army chief's Israel visit postponed - Feb 28, 2012
- Indian Air Force twice successfully test fires Akash missile - Jun 01, 2012
- February trial for naval air defence missile - Nov 16, 2011
- Indian Army chief gets May 31 retirement notice; Israel trip nixed (Roundup) - Feb 28, 2012
- Israeli pavilion showcased latest weaponry to woo India - Feb 16, 2009
- Nod for $4.5-bn military acquisitions (Second Lead) - Jun 22, 2012
- Akash missile test-fired second time in three days - May 26, 2012
- Akash missile to be inducted to counter China - Mar 01, 2012
- IAF chief on four-day visit to France - May 21, 2012
- US seeks transparency on China's first aircraft carrier - Aug 11, 2011