BHU student threatens suicide, four arrested for raggingSeptember 17th, 2010 - 2:25 pm ICT by IANS
Lucknow, Sep 17 (IANS) Four students of the Banaras Hindu University (BHU) in Varanasi have been arrested, one year after they assaulted and stripped a physically challenged youth and forced him to perform obscene acts that were even filmed by them, police said Friday.
The arrests came after the affected student, a native of Bihar, threatened to commit suicide if no action was taken against the four.
“Ashish Gautam, Grijesh Tiwari, Mohit Shukla and Anuj Lal were arrested late Thursday after the varsity authorities registered a case against them,” police inspector Mohan Yadav told reporters in Varanasi, some 300 km from Lucknow.
The BHU administration moved into action nearly one year after the victim, Ankit Upadhyay (name changed), a student of B.Com. second year, registered the complaint of ragging in October 2009.
According to sources, BHU officials got the case registered against the four students only after Upadhyay — who had left for his native place, Buxar in Bihar, after allegedly being tortured by the students — returned this year and submitted copies of a letter Sep 9, 2010, to the university that he would commit suicide if action was not taken against the offending students.
Upadhyay has already lost one academic year due to his short attendance as he left for Buxar after allegedly being assaulted by the four students.
“Of the four students, two (Grijesh Tiwari, Mohit Shukla) were my batchmates at the time of the incident. The two along with other senior students, including Ashsih Gautam and Anuj Lal, took me to a house and physically abused me,” Upadhyay told reporters in Varanasi Friday.
“They even stripped me and forced me to perform obscene acts, which they recorded on their mobile phones and later circulated to other students in the varsity, but still no action was taken against them. Thereafter, I decided to run away to my native place,” he said.
However, after being advised by his family that he should continue his studies, Upadhyay returned to the BHU in February this year.
“I again approached my faculty head to take action against the students, but was told that nothing could be done as it was an old case. As the students continued to harass me, I stated in a letter to the varsity authorities that I would commit suicide,” said Upadhyay.
When contacted, BHU’s chief proctor H.C.S. Rathore, told IANS, “Yes, it definitely needs to be probed why the action was not taken in 2009 when the student had registered the complaint.”
“We have initiated an enquiry in this regard. Stringent action would be taken against all those who had assaulted Upadhyay,” he added.
- Four BHU students arrested as ragging victim threatens suicide (Lead) - Sep 18, 2010
- Uttar Pradesh Police arrest four BHU students on ragging charges - Sep 17, 2010
- BHU student suspended for posting obscene content on Facebook - Dec 02, 2010
- Student kills self in BHU - Feb 22, 2012
- Three engineering students of BHU drown in Ganga - Sep 29, 2010
- Undertrial dies in Uttar Pradesh prison - Oct 30, 2011
- Bhatkhande varsity officials charged for student's death - May 27, 2010
- Seniors booked for ragging in Uttar Pradesh, one held - Sep 13, 2011
- Four Varanasi students booked for ragging - Sep 15, 2009
- Girl attempts suicide after obscene MMS clip circulated - Dec 31, 2011
- Four booked for Odisha gangrape after mounting pressure - Jan 10, 2012
- Engineering student brutally assaulted by seniors - Apr 22, 2011
- Another union minister booked in Uttar Pradesh - Nov 24, 2011
- Varsity student assaulted, made to consume liquor - Sep 19, 2011
- MCA student hangs himself after father's scolding - Sep 16, 2011
Tags: academic year, anuj, ashish, attendance, authorities, banaras hindu university, banaras hindu university bhu, batchmates, four students, lal, lost one, mobile phones, mohan, obscene acts, police inspector, shukla, suicide, varanasi, yadav