Bhopal gas victim’s children protest in New DelhiJune 28th, 2011 - 12:59 am ICT by IANS
Bhopal/New Delhi, June 27 (IANS) About a hundred children of the victims of the Bhopal gas tragedy demonstrated in front of the Prime Minister’s Office Monday demanding medical care, rehabilitation and a poison-free environment, said an NGO.
Wearing signs with words like “Justice” and “Izzat (dignity)”, members of the Bhopal-based Children Against Dow-Carbide held a banner with their demands in front of the North Block office.
The Union Carbide disaster, in which poisonous methyl isocyanate (MIC) gas leaked from the plant on the night of Dec 2-3, 1984, killed 3,000 people instantly and 25,000 over the years. It also affected 100,000 people that night and estimates are that more than 500,000 continue to suffer from ill effects of the gas till date.
A press communique issued by the protest holding NGO said that it was the fourth time children were trying to draw the attention of the prime minister towards governmental inaction on environmental and health rehabilitation schemes in Bhopal.
“Since 2006, we have sought help from Dr. Manmohan Singh for the children of Bhopal who are still denied medical care and rehabilitation and who are still forced to drink poisoned water.” said Safreen Khan one of the founders of Children Against Dow Carbide.
- Bhopal gas tragedy: Victims to protest in Delhi Thursday - Apr 13, 2010
- Bhopal gas victims protest in Delhi, demand rehabilitation - Apr 15, 2010
- Bhopal gas tragedy survivors call shutdown Oct 11 - Oct 08, 2011
- Paralympics urge to cancel Dow Chemicals sponsor - Feb 01, 2012
- Bhopal shuts down for gas tragedy affected - Oct 11, 2011
- Bhopal gas tragedy survivor, activist Irfan dies - Feb 18, 2011
- Bhopal gas victims protest to seek Obama's help - Nov 07, 2010
- Torch rally to mark Bhopal gas tragedy anniversay - Dec 02, 2010
- Obama, Tata face wrath of Bhopal survivors - Dec 02, 2010
- 26 years on, Bhopal gas survivors rally for justice - Dec 03, 2010
- IOA president asks IOC to remove Dow as Olympics sponsor - Dec 20, 2011
- Bhopal gas tragedy widows to get Rs.1,000 pension - Mar 31, 2011
- Bhopal survivors burn Anderson's effigy - Dec 02, 2010
- Bhopal will remember its dead and dying - and how - Dec 01, 2010
- Rs.1.09 crore distributed to Bhopal gas survivors: Minister - Dec 28, 2010
Tags: , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , ,