Bhopal gas tragedy victims take out torch rallyDecember 2nd, 2008 - 11:03 pm ICT by IANS
Bhopal, Dec 2 (IANS) Hundreds of survivors of the Bhopal Gas Tragedy Tuesday marched with torches and held a candlelight vigil outside the now defunct Union Carbide factory here on the eve of the 24th anniversary of the disaster. Thousands of tonnes of methyl isocyanate (MIC) spewed out of the Union Carbide factory on the night of Dec 2-3, 1984 killing thousands of people instantly and maiming several thousands for life.
People living next to the Union Carbide factory - where the ground water is contaminated by poisons from the hazardous chemical waste of the factory - also joined the march. Children who had been poisoned by contaminated ground water formed a prominent part of the march.
Leaders of three organisations - Bhopal Gas Peedit Mahila Stationery Karmachari Sangh, Bhopal Gas Peedit Mahila Purush Sangharsh Morcha and Bhopal Group for Information and Action - demanded immediate setting up of the Empowered Commission on Bhopal for long term medical care and economic and social rehabilitation and supply of safe drinking water, besides clean up of thousands of tonnes of hazardous waste.
They said that following their march on foot to New Delhi in February and a five-month agitation from March to August this year, the central government has committed itself to setting up the Empowered Commission.
The organisations said that the central government has also promised to pursue Dow Chemical’s liability with regard to contamination of soil and ground water, in the ongoing case in Madhya Pradesh High Court at Jabalpur.
- Bhopal tragedy survivors burn Chidambaram's effigy - Jan 14, 2012
- Torch rally to mark Bhopal gas tragedy anniversay - Dec 02, 2010
- Bhopal gas tragedy survivors call shutdown Oct 11 - Oct 08, 2011
- Bhopal shuts down for gas tragedy affected - Oct 11, 2011
- Bhopal gas tragedy victims hold torch rally (Lead) - Dec 02, 2009
- Unethical drug trials caused death of 10 gas victims: Rights groups - Feb 10, 2011
- Bhopal gas tragedy survivor, activist Irfan dies - Feb 18, 2011
- Remembering Bhopal tragedy with torch rally - Dec 02, 2009
- Cell sought to punish Bhopal disaster guilty - Jun 05, 2010
- Bhopal gas victims seek details of Nuclear Liability Bill from PMO - May 05, 2010
- Bhopal survivors burn effigy of IOC president - Feb 19, 2012
- Bhopal gas tragedy survivors hold rallies, all-faith meet - Dec 03, 2009
- 26 years on, Bhopal gas survivors rally for justice - Dec 03, 2010
- Rallies, meets to mark 25 years of Bhopal gas leak - Dec 01, 2009
- Bhopal gas tragedy: Victims to protest in Delhi Thursday - Apr 13, 2010